Blow Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I reecntly brewed my first batch of beer. not only was it a bit sour but a few seconds after opening it, the beer started to blow out of the bottle. any thoughts on this? i thought i used enough sanitized. as well, i fermented it for 2 weeks and bottled it for another 2 weeks. does it always take this long to make beer???

It sounds like it got an infection, probably lacto if it's sour and gushing out of the bottle. That's a sanitation issue. What did you use for sanitizer, and what was your bottling procedure?

Beer doesn't take long to make, but I guess it depends on your perspective. It takes a couple hours on brewday, and then wait a couple of weeks. Then bottle (takes about an hour) and then wait a couple of weeks. So, active "beer time" is about 4-5 hours, and the waiting is the hardest part. If you have several batches going at one time, you'll have beer ready so the waiting is easier.

i used C-Brite. For bottling, i used a siphon.

It was my first time and was a total pain in the a$$. Any suggestions on how to make the bottling process as easy as possible? i am wondering whether i can use old (but sanitized) wine bottles or 40ozers to bottle beer. it takes too much effort to fill up the tine 12 oz bottles.

Couple things. Did you take a hydrometer reading? You need to do this to ensure that your beer has reached final gravity. If your beer continued to ferment in the bottle you could have gushers. Sounds like an infection but 2 weeks for an infection to show up is fast, unless you did not sanitize your bottles at all then it is not as likely as fermentation not being done.

Case in point- I've bottled beer off my kegs into unsanitized bottles- these were merely rinsed in hot water and then chilled and filled. They lasted 2-3 weeks in the fridge with no signs of any infection at all, no gushers etc.

Back