Gravity worries, first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossrainey

Reaction score
This is the last time I'm going to freak about my first beer until I actually have it bottled or tasted. The more I think about it, my gravity is worrying me. My OG was a supposed to be 1.050 for my first beer (according to AHS), but I'm worried mine might be too high. First reading after topping off was 1.060 @ 5 gallons, so I added a little bit more water and mixed then took the gravity reading again and got 1.058 so I thought it would be alright. Well after taking temperature into consideration, I think my gravity was actually 1.060-1.062 or more and I'm not sure if I should worry. The final gravity is supposed to be 1.012 so should I expect it to be higher? I'm cool with higher ABV but just don't know what it means for fermentation time. Thanks in advance.

I haven't opened the fermenter to check and I don't plan on it for another week or more.

You are reading way too much into that initial reading. Relax.

Do not add more water to correct something that is not borken. Just do some yoga and deep breathing for 3-4 weeks, bottle and then wait 3-4 more weeks. That's not going to be hard is it? ;)

The easiest way to deal wth the waiting is to brew another batch. Just think of all the obsessing you can save yourself for the $30 investment in a 6 gal better bottle and airlock and $25 for more ingredients. Best $55 you ever spent.

I figured I was freaking out, just needed to check though. Thanks for the help. I added the water at the end because the instructions said to make the volume 5 to 5 1/4 gallons, so I though adding a little more water would decrease the gravity if I shot for the 5 1/4 gallon.

As for better bottle and brew supplies, that is the next thing on the list. LHBS doesn't open until Tuesday so I'm planning on making a trip there. Thanks for the help again. I'd probably be deciding whether or not to brew if I hadn't found this forum.

Yea - no worries. I had a high one last night also 1.058 was at 1.064 - SURPRISE!!! Not sure how that happened - I was expecting the opposite with a high mash temp but . . . . . we'll see. Could be better - who knows!

more than likely if this was an extract recipe, you simply didn't thoroughly mix the wort with the top off water...It actually take upwards of 5 minutes of solid stirring to integrate the wort and the water...

This is a pretty common new brewer worry.mistake, a screwed up OG reading....

But it won't harm the beer in any way, it will get integrated on it's own...If your recipe or kit was a certain OG @ a certain volume (usually 5 or 5.5 gallons) then it really is nearly impossible to miss your target OG....it's pretty foolproof...

Don't sweat it, and don't fiddle with it anymore...everything's fine.

Back