Oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCNbeer

Reaction score
Yesterday I put some Oxyclean in a primary carboy and let it sit for 24hrs and I'm very impressed with how it has pretty much dissolved the hops of the sides of the carboy, amazing! I've been homebrewing for years and have heard the praises for Oxyclean and just never tried it.

I have a question about cleaning/preparing new keggles and this seems like the perfect place to post. So I have new keggles and am wondering what/how to clean them before my first brew session.

Should I...
1. Just boil/steam them for some time?
2. Fill them with OC and let them sit
3. Use some type of acidic cleaner?
4. None of the above.

Yesterday I put some Oxyclean in a primary carboy and let it sit for 24hrs and I'm very impressed with how it has pretty much dissolved the hops of the sides of the carboy, amazing! I've been homebrewing for years and have heard the praises for Oxyclean and just never tried it.

Oh crap...I still have some Oxyclean in my carboy from 2 weeks ago I need to clean. Guess it's going to be really clean. Love this stuff and get is a lot cheaper than PBW ( although that stuff is great too ).

I'm still not sure how much it matters but most recommend using Oxyclean Free - their unscented brand. Just fyi for future purchases so no worries about lingering scents after cleanings.

Last time I picked up 2 tubs I believe it was the same price.

200.JPG

For normal cleanings, I just use a half scoop and it does fine for the larger carboy/bucket, let it overfill and sit in the garage to do it's thing. I haven't had to throw anymore powder at it yet but I've yet to dry hop, imagine I'll have to add more oxyclean to get rid of spent hop mess. The Oxyclean is great stuff, very little scrubbing required to get things started.

Latest posts

Back