Looking for a chest freezer, couple questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a chest freezer to tighten my control over my lagers. I'd like to be able to ferment, then lager in it.

Basically all I want to know is if all these things do is "freeze". I'll need a therm capable around 50 (just around), and one in the 30s.

Is it pretty typical they can achieve that kind of range w/o the addition of a special Johnson Control's thermostat?

Is it pretty typical they can achieve that kind of range w/o the addition of a special Johnson Control's thermostat?

No, the highest my chest freezer can go is 0F. Even most refrigerators can't maintain 50F without an external controller.

Ahh phooey. Well this is irritating. I may look into that yeast people use in the mid 60s which acts like the lager. Some kind of krolsh I think.

If it has a manual cold control, then there is an 'altitude' adjustment screw that you might be able to manipulate. Never move more than 1/4 turn at a time and give the temp 24 hours to stabilize before adjusting further. Keep a record of how many quarter turns you did. Maybe make a mark for reference.

Back