Brewtarget 1.2.2 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now when I'm trying to compile brewtarget I get:
Code:
src/moc_BeerColorWidget.cpp:14:2: error: #error "This file was generated using the moc from 4.7.0. It"
src/moc_BeerColorWidget.cpp:15:2: error: #error "cannot be used with the include files from this version of Qt."
src/moc_BeerColorWidget.cpp:16:2: error: #error "(The moc has changed too much.)"
src/moc_BeerColorWidget.cpp: In member function ‘virtual const QMetaObject* BeerColorWidget::metaObject() const’:
src/moc_BeerColorWidget.cpp:51: error: ‘class QObjectData’ has no member named ‘metaObject’
src/moc_BeerColorWidget.cpp:51: error: ‘class QObjectData’ has no member named ‘metaObject’
make: *** [moc_BeerColorWidget.o] Error 1

Now when I'm trying to compile brewtarget I get:
Code:
src/moc_BeerColorWidget.cpp:14:2: error: #error "This file was generated using the moc from 4.7.0. It"
src/moc_BeerColorWidget.cpp:15:2: error: #error "cannot be used with the include files from this version of Qt."
src/moc_BeerColorWidget.cpp:16:2: error: #error "(The moc has changed too much.)"
src/moc_BeerColorWidget.cpp: In member function ‘virtual const QMetaObject* BeerColorWidget::metaObject() const’:
make: *** [moc_BeerColorWidget.o] Error 1

I was able to get it to compile when I changed to the following in Makefile (before it was defaulting to /usr/include/qt4):
Code:
CFLAGS        = -m64 -pipe -O2 -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.0 -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.0/QtCore -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.0/QtGui -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.0/QtDBus -w -D_REENTRANT $(DEFINES)
CXXFLAGS      = -m64 -pipe -O2 -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.0 -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.0/QtCore -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.0/QtGui -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.0/QtDBus -w -D_REENTRANT $(DEFINES)

Yes, I noticed this too right after I released it :/ However, I've found the problem and fixed it. What was happening was that the little maltiness widget on the main window was asking the recipe to recalculate the IBUs EVERY SINGLE TIME it was drawn on the screen (which can be thousands of times per second).

You guys are sort of my Guinea pigs when it comes to finding bugs in this software, so thanks for putting up with bugs like this from time to time. I'll wait a little while to see if people find some more bugs, and I'll fix them all and make a "fixed" release shortly.

I'm noticing my cpu usage really high as well. I assume the fixed release is still in limbo since I don't see any new files on sourceforge. Is it a relatively simple fix which I could do in the src/MaltinessWidget.cpp file or maybe even patch? Importing a database was impossible because the computer would essentially lockup when the folder select window was up. I assume it's related, but don't know for sure. I was able to copy the exported files into the ~/.config/brewtarget folder but it would still be nice to fix this cpu issue.

Sorry to keep posting about issues. I don't mean to complain, I really like this software!

I'm noticing my cpu usage really high as well. I assume the fixed release is still in limbo since I don't see any new files on sourceforge. Is it a relatively simple fix which I could do in the src/MaltinessWidget.cpp file or maybe even patch? Importing a database was impossible because the computer would essentially lockup when the folder select window was up. I assume it's related, but don't know for sure. I was able to copy the exported files into the ~/.config/brewtarget folder but it would still be nice to fix this cpu issue.

Sorry to keep posting about issues. I don't mean to complain, I really like this software!

It's not a simple fix, but it is fixed in the repository. Here's the thing: it's a lot of work to prepare the code in the repository for a proper release, so I don't get a chance to do it more than a couple of times per year (usually around Christmas and the summer). But, if you're adventurous, you can always download the bleeding-edge source code from the subversion repository at sourceforge.

I appreciate the work you've put into this and understand it is very time consuming. I've downloaded the SVN and it looks like my particular setup will have even more challenges getting it built than the 1.2.2 source. If I make any progress I will let you know. In the meantime I will be using 1.2.2. Thanks agin.

Hi all,

First, many thanks to rocketman for what looks like a great system!

I downloaded it a few days ago and have been playing with it. I'm a noob who's done one extract brew that turned out pretty well. I'm trying to use Brewtarget for my 2nd extract attempt, and have a question:

Simplistically, what does Mashed / Not mashed mean/do for a steeped Grain in extract brewing?

I know steeping isn't handled well yet - I found a December post that said "For extract recipes, it doesn't matter whether you check mashed or not. What that button does is influence the calculation of mash water and temps.".

However, when I change between Mashed / Not mashed, my IBU, ABV, and other things change. Please help with what's going on and what I should be setting it (and any other things?) to for correct results.

To keep things simple, the only Fermentables I have are

8oz of Vienna Malt Grain (steeped)
6 lbs of an Extract

Thanks for your help!

First off, this is a great tool, and thanks for all the hard work to put it together!

I have noticed a bit of a discrepancy with the Mash designer (not sure if it is apparent in the other mash calculators or not). I was putting together a recipe for a big russian imperial stout with 21.5 lb of grain +1 lb of molasses (set to late addition with the checkbox, mash box is unchecked) and the slider only allows me to take the first infusion to a little over 4 gallons, which is only .75 qt/lb. According to the Green Bay Rackers site (http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml) this should only take up 5.75 gallons of space.I'm not sure if the issue is how I entered my equipment, or within the calculations themselves, but I've been beating my head against the wall trying to get the numbers to work out closer to what has been documented elsewhere regarding mash tun capacity.

First off, this is a great tool, and thanks for all the hard work to put it together!

I have noticed a bit of a discrepancy with the Mash designer (not sure if it is apparent in the other mash calculators or not). I was putting together a recipe for a big russian imperial stout with 21.5 lb of grain +1 lb of molasses (set to late addition with the checkbox, mash box is unchecked) and the slider only allows me to take the first infusion to a little over 4 gallons, which is only .75 qt/lb. According to the Green Bay Rackers site (http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml) this should only take up 5.75 gallons of space.I'm not sure if the issue is how I entered my equipment, or within the calculations themselves, but I've been beating my head against the wall trying to get the numbers to work out closer to what has been documented elsewhere regarding mash tun capacity.

You likely need to set your mash tun size to that of your tun; make sure the units are correct. The software is probably assuming that your mash tun is full, hence the reason you can only get to .75 qt/lb.

You likely need to set your mash tun size to that of your tun; make sure the units are correct. The software is probably assuming that your mash tun is full, hence the reason you can only get to .75 qt/lb.

I have the volume set to 10 gallons, but nothing for Mass. I'm not sure if that makes a difference in the volume calculator or not.

Edit: I also have 0 for the lauter deadspace because I don't have a false bottom, and I generally tip it to get as much out as possible so losses are minimum.

Mass should only be used to calculate water temps for infusions. Try the mash wiz calculator and see what happens? I'm assuming you don't have the batch sparge option checked and the rest type set as 'infusion'?

Tinkering around with it, the mash wiz allows for the proper mash thickness, but it only does a single sparge (and it complains about the sparge water having to be above boiling, I'm guessing because of the weight of grain and little sparge water/ high sparge temp). It's probably not an issue for this particular batch, but I may have to double sparge for other recipes, which would require the use of the mash designer.

Also, the mass seems to make a huge difference in the mash designer. I tried using his default value for the 10 gallon igloo cooler (83.454 lb - Kinda heavy!), but that makes the designer start at 1.32 qt/lb for some reason and I can't make it lower than that.

Hmmm. I'm not sure that i've any other advice. One thing I have noticed is that sometimes you have to re-select the equipment you are using and the select yes set batch size to the specified euqipment. One thing to consider, is that if you are doing an extending boil or collecting more runoff than normal, you need to change your equipment to reflect that. My volumes have been wierd before and i needed to make those adjustments. I have different equipments for 60 and 90 min boils because of this. I woul also need to create a new equipment for a big beer like this.

Hi all,

I usually just lurk around here for all the great information, but I thought I should ask about a possible bug. I'm very new to compiling applications in Linux (very new to Linux as a whole for that matter) but I taught myself how to do it last night so I could check out the brand new stuff on the subversion code of Brewtarget. Anyway, I was sorting the yeast list and then wanted to check the details of that yeast. When I pushed the edit button, it brought up a different yeast than what I had selected. It appears to bring up the yeast that was in that position in the table from before it was sorted (or when it's sorted increasing by name because that's the default). I checked the other tables of ingredients and it appears to do the same thing in the hops and fermentables tables.

I looked around at the SourceForge website, but I wasn't sure exactly where to put this and I didn't want to screw up anything there, so I thought I would post it here and you could put it where you wanted over there (or ignore it if it's not actually a bug and it's just something I did wrong).

I really love the software...keep up the good work!

Justin

Anyway, I was sorting the yeast list and then wanted to check the details of that yeast. When I pushed the edit button, it brought up a different yeast than what I had selected. It appears to bring up the yeast that was in that position in the table from before it was sorted (or when it's sorted increasing by name because that's the default). I checked the other tables of ingredients and it appears to do the same thing in the hops and fermentables tables.

I looked around at the SourceForge website, but I wasn't sure exactly where to put this and I didn't want to screw up anything there, so I thought I would post it here and you could put it where you wanted over there (or ignore it if it's not actually a bug and it's just something I did wrong).

I really love the software...keep up the good work!

Justin

mea culpa. I just checked in rev 308, which should fix this. If you could make sure it did, I would appreciate it.

Mik

i was playing around with the most reacent version on arch linux and i noticed that sometimes the abv would be way over what it should be like i put in my last ipa just to see what it would say and it came back at 14% when it was 6.5 also i was playing around with a russian imperial stout and the ibu was really low like around 10 when it should have been way higher

Love the software. On my mac, if the program is open and the computer goes into sleep mode (as when I'm actively brewing), when it wakes back up I get an error message saying BrewTarget has encountered a problem and needed to close. Haven't seen anyone else post a similar problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading all these posts and noting all these requests and bug reports. I've been a little slow lately at responding since I've been preparing for my qualifying exam which is next week. After it's over, and assuming I pass, a huge weight will be lifted off my shoulders and I'll get to work releasing the next version sometime around Christmas.

Downloaded this yesterday. I read through the walkthrough manual, set up my equipment and loaded some recipes. I think it is quite nice and hopefully I can use it this weekend.

Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know I'm reading all these posts and noting all these requests and bug reports. I've been a little slow lately at responding since I've been preparing for my qualifying exam which is next week. After it's over, and assuming I pass, a huge weight will be lifted off my shoulders and I'll get to work releasing the next version sometime around Christmas.

Hope your exam went well! :mug:

One other request to add to the change list:

Can you display the strike water temp? It shows the target temp for the HLT, but it does not actually display the target strike water temp (if I fill my MT with water and let the temp normalize, what should it be before adding the grains in the grain bill?)

Of course I can go off and calculate this myself, but I am sure this number is already calculated. Display in Brewday mode or in the Mash display?

Going to check this out. I like that it can be used on a mac also. I'm assuming you'll post the update on this thread as well?

One other request to add to the change list:

Can you display the strike water temp? It shows the target temp for the HLT, but it does not actually display the target strike water temp (if I fill my MT with water and let the temp normalize, what should it be before adding the grains in the grain bill?)

Of course I can go off and calculate this myself, but I am sure this number is already calculated. Display in Brewday mode or in the Mash display?

Yeah, it's calculated after you do the mash wizard or designer. For now, select a step and click the edit button to the right and you'll see the strike temp you need. I'll make sure and put this number into the mash table in the next release.

I'm trying to download it to my mac, and am having issues. I followed the instructions on the first post, but when I try to unzip it it states "failed to launch". Any ideas?

Just downloaded this for mac. When I click on the app it immediately disappears and tells me that it quit unexpectedly. When I try and relaunch in does the same thing.

as a fellow geek and open source guy,nice work. The only thing i found clunky so far is setting the times for hops. I think a drop down with common times would be better functionality than trying to get the conversion right.

as a fellow geek and open source guy,nice work. The only thing i found clunky so far is setting the times for hops. I think a drop down with common times would be better functionality than trying to get the conversion right.

I've been playing around with this a couple of days now. All I do is select the hops and then double click the amount in the table and enter in oz or g (leave a space between the number and the oz, lb, g symbol). When I enter the time, I do the same 1 hr, 30 min, 15 min...

I got frustrated, then tried again today, and it worked. I have no idea what I did different, but it works so I am happy. Checked it out for a little bit, and I am really excited to put it to work. Thanks to those that put time into it.

I did not see the update until now. Been busy I guess!

Any thought to adding a notes tab to recipes? Maybe to the right of mash tab.

I love to pull up the recipe and put in dates and measurements each time I brew it. Will look forward to the update! I love brewtarget.

I did not see the update until now. Been busy I guess!

Any thought to adding a notes tab to recipes? Maybe to the right of mash tab.

I love to pull up the recipe and put in dates and measurements each time I brew it. Will look forward to the update! I love brewtarget.

If you click on the "extras" menu item along the top bar, this is formatted for notes and observations/conditions.

Maybe not in the most intuitive/obvious location since it is somewhat separated from all the other brew day items, but it has all the relevant fields and space, IMO.

Rocketman, any plans for a print function that would print the basics of the brew day? Would be nice to be able to print out hard-copies of the recipe and notes.

Rocketman, any plans for a print function that would print the basics of the brew day? Would be nice to be able to print out hard-copies of the recipe and notes.
I am not Rocketman, but if you want a print function you can either download the latest version from Sourceforge via svn or wait until Rocketman can roll a new release. It has a few issues yet, but it works.

Hmmm, it doesn't print out any stored notes. That's a good idea. I will get that added soonish.

Mik

Back