First Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prey

Reaction score
I've just finished making my first cyser, now it's airlocked.:)
I used 5 gallons of Mott's and 6 lbs. of honey and pitched red star champagne yeast. The OG turned out to be 1.086. Is there any thing I should be aware of with regards to making cyser? I've only made ciders so far but I'd imagine other than a longer fermentation time and a longer aging period, theres not much difference. I'll post pictures up soon, thanks.

It'll take a lot longer to ferment than the cider will, and aging will be even longer. It's because of the honey. I made a hard cider that didn't taste good until 2 months of being bottled, and a cyser that was only palatable at 6 months.

eviltwinofjoni said:
It'll take a lot longer to ferment than the cider will, and aging will be even longer. It's because of the honey. I made a hard cider that didn't taste good until 2 months of being bottled, and a cyser that was only palatable at 6 months.

Would adding brown sugar speed this up?

Adding brown sugar, or any fermentable for that matter, will not make it go any faster. Honey, because it has so few nutrients in it, will ferment slower than beer. You'd want to add yeast energizer and yeast nutrients to the must, but it won't make it go 'faster' per se, but it will keep the fermenting active.

The important part is the aging. Even when fermenting is done, it will taste really tart, hot and raw for a month until the flavors blend. Patience Grasshoppa.

Latest posts

Back