Wyeast 1388

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adnic69

Reaction score
I have just got all my ingredients in the post to make my belgium beer. Reading the wyeast instructions it says I have to make a starter for 24-48 hours! Do I have to do this? I was hoping to get on with it now.
Also it mentions well aerated water, how the hell do you do that?

Adam

I didn't, and it worked for me. Just smack it, shake it, and let it sit for at least 3-4 hours. Then make sure you airiate the wort really well before adding the yeast.

You will likely be OK with just the smack pack but in the future plan ahead to make a starter because it will help the fermentation process. Aeration is definately essential for yeast health and good fermentation. If you are doing a partial boil there are a number of ways to aerate. Some people shake the cooled wort, you can use a wire whip to stir it up,you could pour it back and forth from kettle to pail. Here are a couple of threads on processes. Remember to only aerate after the wort is boiled and cooled. http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14445&highlight=aeration

http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14993&highlight=aeration

Having a couple packs of dry yeast on hand is a good idea for those brewing sessions when you don't have time to make a starter.

I think aeration is the one of the most important things in brewing. If you don't aerate adequately, yeast will not ferment and you can't add oxygen later, unlike more yeast. I learned the hard way, after tossing a 40 dollar batch of beer down the drain.

I've used 1388 for seven batches, and it has proven to be a strong fermenter without a starter. The last batch had full krausen with foam streaming out the blow-off tube in about 12 hrs, and all previous batches were about the same.

However, after my last brew day, in which I used a starter for 1762 (Belgian Abbey Yeast II), I will now make a starter with all future batches.

Back