In search of an alternative to 50a GFCI breakers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UniBrewer

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been brewing at home using canned kits for awhile now, but I'd like to start brewing extract batches in order to allow me to expand my horizons.

My dilemma: Electricity is included in my monthly rent but I don't have access to any of the electrical system or any information on it. This leaves me with a lot of non-GFI sockets around my flat, which are quite far apart in most cases, and are likely part of only a small number of individual circuits. I could easily install a 15a GFI socket in my kitchen, which could power a 1500w heat stick that would be used in conjunction with my stove to boil wort, although the largest cheapo pot I could find was a mere 4 gallons. I've spoken with restaurant supply companies in my area and their larger stock pots cost upwards of $100, which I consider to be too much. Why? Because I was given a keggle some time ago.

In conclusion to my rant, I'd like to know if I can operate a much larger element using the 50a outlet than my stove plugs into for less than say... $140? I cannot find a GFI that could be placed in-line between the 50a socket and a large element.

Get one of these.
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=101594-76863-UG412RMW250P

Several feet of 6/3 SW00 cable and a plug to match your range receptacle.

wire the range plug to the cable, wire the other end into the spa panel. Then take another length of cable and wire it to the breaker and ground. Then wire the other end to your element and ground the pot.

This ought to come close to your $140 budget.

Back