Bells Two Hearted Clone with "Centennial Type" hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlHungus76

Reaction score
I was planning to brew one of the two hearted clones here on HBT. However, with the Centennial hop shortage, that is looking less likely since by LHBS here in Chicago told me Saturday that they will have no more centennial this year, I am looking for other options.
Since Two Hearted is all centennial, what do people think about subbing the "centennial type" hops that hop union sells? I have never used these hops and would love to hear people's opinions who have tried them. Thanks

Order some from the internet
That link is pretty funny. If you didn't read close enough, you'd think you were actually getting Centennial.

Centennial Type Pellet Hops
Centennial Type is a blend of very balanced hops, sometimes called a super Cascade. It is typically used in American ales and has also been used with American wheat beers. It has a favorable following among craft brewers. The hop was named for the Washington State Centennial Celebration.

Those are still "centennial type" hops. Trying to find out how different they are from the real thing since recipe it 100% centennial. Thanks :)

1:3 ratio of Columbus to Cascade has worked well for me in a pinch.

I guess that's what Hop Union thinks too. According to Northern Brewer centennial type is a 70:30 blend of Cascade:Columbus.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/connect/2012/05/centennial-type-hops-for-a-shortage/
It says a lot of the people there preffered centennial type to actual centennial. So I guess that would mean there is a noticeable difference between the two, so if you really want to clone two hearted you may want to order some actual centennial if you can find it. I think you could make a great beer either way though.

Back