Wild Grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluemoose

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does any know if wild grapes are good for making wine? I would have to pick a ton, but they are growing on my road right next to the wild hops.

Does any know if wild grapes are good for making wine? I would have to pick a ton, but they are growing on my road right next to the wild hops.

Sometimes!

They're never "bad" for making wine, but sometimes they are a bit acidic or tart. Still, for free, they are worth it!

Here's a great site for information on wild grapes and making wine with them:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/natives.asp (Scroll down for recipes!)

Ah Jack Keller. Probably should have looked there first.
Thanks Yooper.

You're welcome! I go to Jack Keller's site a lot, as I make all sorts of wines that are probably "weird", but he has a recipe for them! I've been using his native grape tips for concord and catawba wines, with really good results! So, I'd definitely give it a try and see what happens. At worst, it'll be drinkable. At best, it'll be fantastic. My guess is it'll be somewhere in the middle of those!

Did a bit of reading. Now I just need to identify the grapes to figure out when is best to harvest (pre or post frost) and if sugar needs to be added. It'll be an adventure.

Back