Free Bottle cases

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejaz

Reaction score
I dropped my wife off at Shoprite last nite and cut through the back to leave. There was an assortment of soda cases in the back. I called my wife on the cell and aked her to ask the manager if we could have a few. I finally convinced her to ask and the manager said take all you want. "The soda companies don't pick the empties up right away and they just clutter up the back," he said. So it doesn't hurt to ask, the worst he could have said was no. Wiith a little modification I was able to use them for 12 & 22 oz. bottles and they have handles for easy carrying.

Nice! My cardboard boxes are losing structural integrity with time, so a solution like that would be perfect. I'll have to check out the back of my local Shoprite...

How did you modify them? Any pictures?
When you say soda cases, I'm thinking of those things that hold 2-liter bottles and that can't be right.

My shoprite had 3 different size Pepsi cases. They all interlock or nest to stack when empty. The largest size case I cut out the bottom and stacked it on another case to make the outside walls higher and you can tie bottoms together. They hold 28 12 ounce bottles. The medium size case holds 12 22 ounce bottle. I don't know what to do with the small cases yet. I saved the plastic bottoms to cut up for bottle dividers in case I need them. I'll post picture as soon as I can find the camera.

Just an FYI... those cases will likely have the same legality issues as milk crates. The owner of that ShopRite had no right to give them out, as they are the property of the beverage distributor and not the grocery store.

SixFoFalcon said:
Just an FYI... those cases will likely have the same legality issues as milk crates. The owner of that ShopRite had no right to give them out, as they are the property of the beverage distributor and not the grocery store.

You have a point and I would not have taken them without asking permission but the manager has a point too. When getting a delivery the distributor should pick up all the empty cases. But because of the time factor (making other stops) and room on truck because of other deliveries, the distributor may not be able or elect not to pickup cases in a timely manner. So in effect the store is warehousing these cases for free plus the added labor cost associated with storing the cases in an orderly fashion ( by the way these case were all over the back, some will have to pick them up). For a store, space is often limited and for a store, just as in a warehouse, space is valuable and is a factor in revenue.

joejaz said:
You have a point and I would not have taken them without asking permission but the manager has a point too. When getting a delivery the distributor should pick up all the empty cases. But because of the time factor (making other stops) and room on truck because of other deliveries, the distributor may not be able or elect not to pickup cases in a timely manner. So in effect the store is warehousing these cases for free plus the added labor cost associated with storing the cases in an orderly fashion ( by the way these case were all over the back, some will have to pick them up). For a store, space is often limited and for a store, just as in a warehouse, space is valuable and is a factor in revenue.

Sorry, but you are wrong, and previous poster is correct. You can do all you want to try to justify this in your mind, but the store does not have the legal right to give those away. They get free labor from the beverage companies to merchandise the product, and in turn, they are expected to store the empty crates until the next delivery when the driver will pick up the empties. I spent almost 15 years in the grocery business, and over five of that was as a receiving clerk. There is actually a very good chance that that manager just cost his company money. More than likely, once or twice a year the beverage vendor is doing inventory on their crates, and billing the store for any that have gone missing. This is fairly common with milk crates, pop crates, and pallet boards.

rabidgerbil said:
Sorry, but you are wrong, and previous poster is correct. You can do all you want to try to justify this in your mind, but the store does not have the legal right to give those away. They get free labor from the beverage companies to merchandise the product, and in turn, they are expected to store the empty crates until the next delivery when the driver will pick up the empties. I spent almost 15 years in the grocery business, and over five of that was as a receiving clerk. There is actually a very good chance that that manager just cost his company money. More than likely, once or twice a year the beverage vendor is doing inventory on their crates, and billing the store for any that have gone missing. This is fairly common with milk crates, pop crates, and pallet boards.

Well I guess I stand corrected.

Back