Question about Stir Plate (Anthony Lopez Project)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginct

Reaction score
This project (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-stirplate-cheap-easy-build-86252/) is awesome and the directions were easy to follow for someone like me with no experience with these projects. I built this last night using the female quick disconnects, and although I have the fan working I have a few questions

1. The directions say attach a quick release to the red wire on the computer fan. Then later you're supposed to attach ANOTHER quick disconnect to that, and then attach that to the right pin on the potentiometer.
Why can't you just run the red from the computer fan directly to that right prong? I ran it direct and it seems to work

2. The LED on the rocker switch will not light up. For a power source I'm using a 12volt dc/750mA power supply from some old Comcast cable box or modem. In other threads people who had this problem were using 6volt power supplies, and their LED light wasn't turning on because there wasn't enough power. Why would I have the same problem if I'm using a 12volt supply?

3. The power supply only had two wires and no ground, so right now I have nothing attached to the Earth prong on the rocker switch. Is this a problem? I have the black from the computer fan and the black from the power source
twisted and capped with a quick disconnect per the instructions, should I attach THAT female disconnect to the Earth on the rocker switch?

4. My stir plate spins pretty damn fast, even with the power turned all the way down. It'd be nice if I had a little more control, and I know someone mentioned adding another part to regulate the power more. What part would that be?

I can attach pictures if that will help. Thanks

bump for a response so that i don't electrocute myself or burn down the house

Back