Leave Bottles is StarSan until bottling time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonderbrink

Reaction score
I keep my empty bottles in 15 or 20 gallon tubs. Is their any detrimental effects of leaving the tub filled with starsan and piling in bottles until they are ready to be filled. Some bottles could be in for a month. Just before bottle, drain, let dry and fill, put back in sanitized tub and let carbonate.

Wondering if the effectiveness of starsan would lessen over time. Any thoughts appreciated.

I kept caps in starsan and it dissolved left behind something or corroded. you can store starsan but make sure it doesnt dissolve. Check the ph to check if its still good

when you soak anything, including glass, in starsan for long periods of time, there can be a slimy residue that builds up. also starsan looses its effectiveness over time if its not made with pure water (like distilled or RO) due to it reacting with the minerals and stuff in the water. also an open container of it will have dust and other contaminants getting in, making this happen faster.

glass or inert materials are OK to soak. many metals (like caps) will dissolve or corrode over long periods of time.

there is no need to soak your bottles for longer than a few minutes. you will not gain anything by doing that, so its not worth the effort.

I grab the emptied budweiser cases with the 6 pack holders from the bar and most times they have reusable bottles too but anyways, I just store my clean bottles upside down in their intended holders untill I'm ready to use them.. quick rinse for dust and a minute or two soak and 5 minutes upside down on my drilled out rubbermaid drying rack/lid and time to fill :mug:

Back