Growing "wild" hops with my rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gungadin

Reaction score
Hops grow in the wild, right? What if I was to encourage that by planting rhizomes in areas that fit the soil/sun/drainage characteristics that hops look for? There is so much open and wooded space where I live, much of which never sees another human being... seems like a waste that there are no hops growing there! :)

Anyone done this/seen this? Any tips or suggestions?

Not intentionally, but there are feral hops all over the place around here as they go back over 100 years as a crop. As far as your situation goes, you should probably check with a local university about introducing them, as them might crowd out some native plants. Hops can be really invasive.

Wild American hops are related, but not the same.

Not intentionally, but there are feral hops all over the place around here as they go back over 100 years as a crop. As far as your situation goes, you should probably check with a local university about introducing them, as them might crowd out some native plants. Hops can be really invasive.

Wild American hops are related, but not the same.

I agree with David- hops are invasive and can take over an entire area. They sure are easy to grow! In my yard, I can keep them under control pretty well but if you have sensitive species in your area you should be sure you won't interfere with them.

Latest posts

Back