Threaded Grill Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
forgive me if someone has already suggested this, but i couldn't find any archived posts.

i was at wally world today wandering around like usual and saw a replacement grill thermometer, one that actually gets installed through a hole in the lid of your propane grill and has a slim nut that holds it in place from the inside. the threads on the back that looked very close to 1/2". i got it since i could return it if it didn't fit, but it screwed right in to my 1/2" coupler in my keggle, no leaks. only cost me $16. it's got a 2.5" or so stem.

it ranges from 50 to 500 deg F, which is plenty. the gradations are in 10 degree increments, which is the only downfall, but for my HLT, it should be fine. there's enough room between the ticks to make a fairly accurate reading. i know for some that won't cut it, but for me, it's cool.

:mug:

I have a Char-Broil Commercial Series that the gauge was acting up at brand new so they sent me a new replacement without the old unit returned. Even the new one was not accurate unless recalibrated as well it had to be thumped to get the needle to move. I would have to say no on purchasing one. If you start off with bad brewing equipment temp gauges your results will follow. Get the best gauge you can afford that operates in a narrow range that you brew in for better accuracy as well read the manufactures specs to how accurate they are. This is a item you do not want to be cheap on with the purchase. I've gone on the cheap years ago before also, found out I was only fooling myself and the wallet by purchasing twice well three times instead of good thermometer once. JMO's on what I went thru and I know i'm not alone with failed brewing ideas.

luckily wal-mart is the easiest place on earth to return to. if it isn't matching my digital probe during testing, or if it craps out after a few uses, i'll just take it back and upgrade.

Back