Bread and beer yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilo

Reaction score
What would be the basic differences between bread and beer yeast?
Would that be the tolerance to alcohol?
Have anyone tried to brew beer with bread yeast or bake a bread using beer yeast for the sake of checking what happens?

Cross brewing with yeasts was done on a podcast. I forget which one now. Yeah, it can be done. Brewer's yeast has been 'selected' for hundreds, if not thousands, of years. It actually has had its gene to kill off competing yeast switched off in the process. Probably didn't need it. I just read the new yeast book by White and Jamil. I'd suggest you read it if you can.

There are many differences, including flavor profile, attenuation, flocculation, alcohol tolerance, and temperature range. Bakers yeast is less than ideal in most respects, but it will make beer. For a long time it was pretty mcuh the only readily available yeast for hombrewers, and may have helped contribute to the stigma that homebrew doesn't taste as good as commercial beer.

I made a sourdough starter with my wild collected yeast and it makes incredible beer, and some simply amazing bread. I tried the same with US-05, and it makes better bread than Fleischman's, but not as good as my wild yeast.

I made a beer with Fleischmann's bread yeast. There was nothing wrong with it. I haven't tried using brewing yeast for bread yet but I will sooner or later. Bottom line is it's the same species as ale yeast, S. cerevisiae, but a strain selected for different attributes; e.g., fast rise and CO2 production, little thought to ester production. Basic Brewing Radio did a video podcast where they baked bread with brewing yeast and vice-versa. They said the bread came out great.

Back