what pump for chilling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetrueruss

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure what kind of pump I need just to push ice water through my IC. I've seen plenty of folks say how that works great. Do I need a march pump or is there a cheaper alternative? Any chance gravity could work? I'm considering rigging an experiment with my chiller and filling my MLT ice chest and just letting it run through to see if it works with water before I try with wort.

any thoughts?

Since saltwater aquariums were one of my previous obsessions I have some pumps laying around.

I found an inexpensive $25 Maxijet 1200 works well with 25' IC's. http://www.marinedepot.com/Maxi_Jet...arineland_Instant_Ocean-AS1111-FIPHFF-vi.html

That pump didn't cut it for my new 1/2" 50' IC. For that I used a much larger Eheim submersible pump, if I remember though this pump was about $150. If you get a pump this large for this much money you might as well get a March pump that can be used for other things as well.

For only 30 minutes a batch though a cheapo pond pump would probably be ok.

I use a Harbor Freight pump for my 1/2" 50" IC. This little guy does a great job.

I paid like 12 bucks so if it dies I can live with it. Paid more for the PVC and the fittings. For now once I use tap water to get the temp down to 100-110 I put big frozen ice blocks above the pump in a 5 gallon bucks and recirculate the water. Water temp is usually around 60F and can get the wort to 65 in about half an hour. That is in Texas during the summer. Really happy with such a inexpensive (cheap) pump.

I wasn't familiar with harbor freit tools.. lots of good stuff there and several options in the $20 range which makes me happy.. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back