Can I use a pack of yeast that is about to expire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ovejon

Reaction score
I bought an ingredient kit around summer of last year and due to various circumstances I haven't been able to brew it. I have available time during the week but I noticed that the "best use before" date is march of 09. Can I still use this dry yeast if I were to brew during this week, or am I better off getting a new pack of it. In fact, are the ingredients still usable after being left unused for so long?

Try a starter if you're worried about the yeast so you don't waste your ingredients. Did the kit come with any specialty grain? I'd be a bit worried about them being stale.

The ingredients might be stale by now, but the only way to find out for sure is to go ahead and brew the beer. The yeast should be alright, but it's good to have a backup around, just in case. I always keep a couple of spare packs of dry California Ale Yeast and a dry English Ale Yeast around to be safe.

Thanks for the response guys. The kit does have specialty grain but they're all air sealed so I'm hoping they're still good. The same goes for the hops (pellet) and the Irish moss.

All grain is susceptible to spoilage. Whole grains store longer than crushed grains, because the starchy bits inside haven't been exposed to moisture. The process of milling the grain releases the insides to moisture - after all, that's the point of milling them!

Even in a sealed bag, moisture can build up. When this happens, it causes "slack malt".* Slack malt yields lower extract, lower flavor, lower, well, everything you want from it.

If the bags are still sealed, and the malt inside is not already crushed, you could be good to go in March 2010. It takes a lot to make sealed-up whole grain go bad.

Cheers!

Bob

* Brewer's Jargon for today. Use it! ;)

All grain is susceptible to spoilage. Whole grains store longer than crushed grains, because the starchy bits inside haven't been exposed to moisture. The process of milling the grain releases the insides to moisture - after all, that's the point of milling them!

Even in a sealed bag, moisture can build up. When this happens, it causes "slack malt".* Slack malt yields lower extract, lower flavor, lower, well, everything you want from it.

If the bags are still sealed, and the malt inside is not already crushed, you could be good to go in March 2010. It takes a lot to make sealed-up whole grain go bad.

Cheers!

Bob

* Brewer's Jargon for today. Use it! ;)

Thanks, Bob, I couldn't tell from the OP whether they were already crushed, I was assuming no. I keep my specialty grains in ziplock bags inside a paper grocery bag inside a sealed Homer Bucket, just like my base grains (sans the ziplock).

Can I still use this dry yeast if I were to brew during this week, or am I better off getting a new pack of it. In fact, are the ingredients still usable after being left unused for so long?

I cannot speak about the other ingredients, but the yeast should be fine. I would be comfortable using it next month as well with one caveat: as long as the yeast has been sealed in an airtight container. Most expiration dates are estimates only, and they estimate conservatively to err on the side of caution. If the container has been punctured or submerged in liquid, I would toss it on general principle. Then again, I would have tossed prior to the expiration date in those cases.

Back