Belgium Abbey 1762 - What is going on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kola

Reaction score
With my current 5 gallon batch I decided I wanted to try a Golden Monkey clone. My yeast was extremely active within the beginning 24hrs. I had a blowout but I was prepared. I always use a blowout hose on my fermenters. I do not care to use an air lock. As far as I know they serve as the same purpose without having to clean my ceiling if a blowout occurs. I digress, I have seen a blow out before, but what is causing me to come to the forums today is the fact that it has been a week since I pitched my yeast into my 5 gallon back and I am essentially getting another blowout to occur. What could be causing this?

In the recipe I followed it is the first time I have used table sugar in a recipe. It is also the first time I have mashed for longer than an hour before Sparging.

I have hypothesized a couple of reasons.

1. The temperature change in my apartment could have caused different activities in the yeast. Throughout the whole week of being in the primary fermenter it has been exposed to heat ranging from 68 to 76 degrees. I know I am suppose to keep the temperature as stable as possible but when you are a recent college grad, living in a college apartment, I don't have the best control. The second blowout is occurring now with a temperature at 68/69 degrees.

2. Sugars could have been broken down and the yeast just became more active. I am not really sure on the metabolic pathway of yeast when it comes down to different polymers and monomers of carbohydrates (different sugars).

3. Something is entirely wrong

Any insight to what could be going on would be helpful. Let me know if you need me to give more information regarding the brewing process or recipe that pertained to this batch.

Each fermentation is different. Sometimes the Belgian yeasts can just chug along and continue fermenting for a long time.

Don't worry about anything. Your brew will be fine. Just let the yeast do its thing and give it plenty of time to finish.

Here is a great quote from Brew Like a Monk about Belgian yeasts.

"Let the fermentation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. It can take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it does for the first 80%"

Here is a great quote from Brew Like a Monk about Belgian yeasts.

"Let the fermentation finish, perhaps at a higher temperature. It can take as long to get the last few points of attenuation as it does for the first 80%"

Great words to live by. Whenever I use a belgian yeast, I always rouse the better bottle and crank up the temperature to get that last 20-25%.

Latest posts

Back