Potential bottle bombs!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMeans

Reaction score
So I made a mint chocolate coffee stout recently. I split the batch as a coffee stout and the mint chocolate version. The coffee stout came out great, the mint chocolate stout was barely drinkable. I added a "chocolate concentrate" of my own making at bottling ignoring the fact that even baking chocolate contains sugar, on top of my priming solution. Needless to say it was a "bit" over carbed. *read-every bottle was its only little beer fountain tasting of listerine, coffee, and old hershey bars.* After trying to drink one last night and realizing that its just time to free up some bottles and start over I decided to dump my last few.

All of the bottles had opened had been chilled for 24-48 hours, the beer would slowly rise out of the bottles and then foam over for a minute leaving behind a less carbonated foul tasting drink. The rest of my bottles were not chilled and I didn't even think about all of my chemistry classes and references to the ideal gas law. Needless to say that was a mistake.

The first bottle I opened I sat in the sink, popped the top and was amazed at the 14" beer fountain that shot out of the bottle. It was a sight to see. After that bottle in my infinite wisdom and boundless insight and intelligence decided that it would be a good idea to point the next bottle down into the sink and aim for the drain. I popped the top and I am pretty sure I got everything but the drain. This bottle was especially high in carbonation. The beer fountain shot out, banked off the wall of the sink sprayed back all over me, the walls, the ceiling, over the counter, and into the living room. It goes without saying that I was in a shock for a few seconds; until I realized my wife is going to be home in 10 minutes and I will have some 'splaining to do. Luckily the kitchen was cleaned and the apartment only smelled slightly of beer.

Pics to follow.

5895038406_ef3564f45b.jpg

5894472757_231c87d0bd.jpg

5895039126_d18467f052.jpg

5894473657_181c6213fc.jpg

I have used chocolate flavoring that was sold in my LHBS at bottling/secondary and cocoa nibs in the boil with good result. Cocoa powder anything at anytime has only ever made a big mess and/or was a PITA to use. As for mint... A few drops of the good peppermint extract in the baking isle and some peppermint schnapps to taste works really well IMO. YMMV.

Best of luck!

well I thought I was going to be a home brewing pioneer and take my cocoa powder, add it to some water and heat it at 150 and stir it until it was a nice smooth liquid. That part worked, just the results themselves did not. Next time I am just going to try cocoa nibs or the chocolate extract. Cocoa powder can go f itself in the a.

Back