Feedback on a Stout Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseyhb

Reaction score
Hi everyone - before I brew my stout, I wanted to get some feedback. It's try number 3 of coming up with my own recipe (i.e. no experience in formulating recipes, but I am tying to learn) and wanted to get feedback prior to brewing this one. I bought the following ingredients:

6 lbs Light DME
1 lb Muntons Roasted Barley
1 lb Flaked Barley
4 oz Muntons Black Patent
2 oz Cluster hops for 60 minutes

Wyeast 1056 (more by default as I harvested a ton of it)

It's a 5 gallon batch.

The roasted barley and black patent were already bought and mixed/milled. I am not averse to splitting the milled grain, mixing is with something else (I have crystal 60L and 40L on hand). I also have Wyeast 1332 on hand, and a pretty large variety of hops.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

You'll need something with diastatic enzymes to convert the flaked barley in a mash.

You'll need something with diastatic enzymes to convert the flaked barley in a mash.

If he's looking for fermentables, yes. If he's looking for some body and head retention, no. For what's most likely an extract with steeping grains recipe, I wouldn't worry about this.

I would probably only use about half of your roasted barley / black patent mixture and add 8oz to 1lb of your Crystal 60L, depending on how much you like those flavors in a stout.

Choice of hops is unimportant for bittering in a stout, so Cluster should be fine.

Have you used a tool (like Hopville) to calculate your expected OG/FG/IBUs? I find seeing those numbers (especially in comparison with the BJCP guidelines) helps me formulate and modify recipes. I don't always stick within the guidelines, but I like to know where I'm falling compared with other beers of that style.

It is an extract with steeping grains.

For the original recipe above, hopville gave me:

1.059 OG
1.015 FG
5.9% ABV
32 SRM
38.6 IBUs

You will still get body and head retention after converting the starches of the Flaked Barley. I personally wouldn't want any starches floating around in my beer on purpose other than to feed wild yeasts (i.e. turbid mashes for lambics and what not).

If you are against a partial mash to convert the flaked barely I would suggest replacing it with a dextrin malt such as Cara-pils to mimic the head retention and body enhancing effects. It only needs to be steeped along with your other specialty grains.

Yes. I believe 1 lb of 2-row should have enough diastatic power to convert your 1 lb of flaked barley.

Back