Corny keg frustration (help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardowling

Reaction score
I'm not too sure how much help you all can provide but I thought I would give this a shot. I'm trying to keg for the first time and as I was cleaning my keg I couldn't get a good seal on the lid and the cleaning solution kept leaking out, I tried pressurizing the keg to get it to seal, I tried putting a new gasket on the lid, I even had the wife give it a shot all to no avail. So 1 hour and 50 psi of CO2 later I am no further along than when I began, I know this keg holds pressure because my LHBS released the pressure in it when I bought the kit and I haven't damaged the keg in any way, does anyone have any tricks or suggestions to get this thing to seal? Thanks in advance.
Al

If it is indeed the lid, try putting a dime underneath each leg post. If this works, replace the plastic posts when you get a chance. Also, some lids fit better one way. Used kegs are a little weird sometimes.

Thanks for the replies, I have the lube but haven't tried it didn't think it would have that much impact. I will try the lube and the dime trick. Thanks.
Al

Two of my kegs have a similar issue. With one of them, you have to latch the lid toward you with the gas post on the left and out post on the right in order for it to seal. The other keg has to be latched in the other direction in order for it to seal. Sometimes sliding the lid left and right or toward and away from you after its latched also helps.

beninan said:
Two of my kegs have a similar issue. With one of them, you have to latch the lid toward you with the gas post on the left and out post on the right in order for it to seal. The other keg has to be latched in the other direction in order for it to seal. Sometimes sliding the lid left and right or toward and away from you after its latched also helps.

+1

They can be fickle.

+1 on the direction of the lid and the use of lube. Another thing I found is that you have to keep an upward pressure on the lid at the same time you lock it in place. I pull up on the handle to get the gasket seated, then maintain that pressure as much as possible while I lock the handle in place. Connect the CO2 and run a soap test to make sure everything is good. It may take a couple of tries to get the hang of it, but no worries, you'll pick it up in no time!

Heat up the rubber gasket in some hot (not boiling) water. It makes it easier to compress
and thus seal...

Also try the lid in both directions.

I just converted a couple of pin lock to Ball locks and I had one that at first glance I didn't notice that the keg had a slight dimple on the lip, which would cause the lid to be further to one side than the other (not centered) A little manipulation with a ball peen and pliers, evened the lip out so I then had a good seal. Lay a 6" ruler along the opening and see if the keg is even all the way around. Also make sure that when sealed, the lid is centered in the opening, there's enough free play that the lid can move around.

Back