Beginner Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankyT

Reaction score
So I just did my first batch of cider. I used store bought (Whole Foods) and used organic apple peel yeast (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/organic-apple-peel-yeast-199622/) and it's carbing in a 2 liter now. I winged the whole process, went by taste only (I think I'm going to buy a hydrometer), and it's not bad (though I don't like the Whole Foods cider, but didn't want to waste it once I bought it).

I wanted to try making it before I really got going with the apples I have from a neighbor's front yard, which are now ripe and ready. Anyway, the questions.

--So I'm thinking of not filtering the cider, but I've been reading about how once it's done fermenting it'll clear up? What exactly happens?

--What's the best way to bottle it? Siphoning? I've seen oxidation as a problem on the forums, what exactly happens with oxidation/how do I avoid it?

--When I'm bottling (using glass, want it not completely dry) do I have to add sugar to carb it to keep it somewhat sweet or I can just let it sit for a few days, testing it (which I thought I read in the helpful pasteurization stickied thread up there)?

Thanks a lot!

Back