Empty italian soda bottles good for carbonating?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCool

Reaction score
I'm currently making a batch of cider... according to the recipe it should come out to around 7% ABV and i used champagne yeast.. i want to carbonate it and i have some used italian soda bottles from world market and was wondering if they would be good for carbing... heres a link ...http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3624333

since they held carbonated sodas i figure that they would be good and wouldn't explode on me but i'm a brew-noob so i figured i would ask opinions of all the ex-noobs..
-also if they are good to go would it be safe to make the cider sparkling or should i stick it safe with a light carb...
thanks..

I don't know about those ones (I wouldn't trust them to be air-tight), but the flip-top ones at BevMo etc. are only about $4 a bottle and they WILL hold a seal and pressure.

I have a bottle similar to that from Target that came with Italian soda and it didn't carb well. I'm not sure if I could have tightened the lid better or what. Those french soda swing top bottles work well although they are not as cheap.

I have a bottle similar to that from Target that came with Italian soda and it didn't carb well. I'm not sure if I could have tightened the lid better or what. Those french soda swing top bottles work well although they are not as cheap.

I had bought a whole bunch of these little Italian sodas (seven or eight ounces) with pry-off tops from Target (they were on clearance). Wouldn't hold a cap, though, with my wing capper. Probably could have gotten it to work with a floor capper... but then I started kegging ;)

Back