Primary fermenter size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

englishale

Reaction score
Hello All,
My first post here.
I have always used a 6 gallon carboy for primary and racked to a 5 gallon secondary. I don't get any blowoff in the 6 gallon because of all the extra head space. Is this bad practice? Do most of you use a 5 gallon carboy so it will blow off some of the icky stuff?

Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to some good conversation here.

Rich

Hello All,
My first post here.
I have always used a 6 gallon carboy for primary and racked to a 5 gallon secondary. I don't get any blowoff in the 6 gallon because of all the extra head space. Is this bad practice? Do most of you use a 5 gallon carboy so it will blow off some of the icky stuff?

Thanks for your help. I'm looking forward to some good conversation here.

Rich

I use a 7.5 "ale pail" and rarely get any krausen out of the top. When I've used a 6 gallon, though, I've had a few messes and needed a blow off tube. Not because I WANT it to blow off, but just because it does. I'm of the opinion that once the krausen falls, the bitter tasting resins and fusels will cling to the side at the krausen line, or fall back into the beer as trub. I later rack off of the trub.

I'd go with the bigger size for a primary. It is definately not necessary to have blow-off and if you put a full five gallons in a five gallon carboy you are asking for a mess. I use the 6 gallon better bottles for primary and even then they sometimes don't contain a fermentation.

(Basically what I just did was agree with Yooper, but worded it a bit differently).

even a 6 gallon BB is no insurance

krausen3.JPG

Saison super active fermentation

I have had 5.5 gallon brews that make a mess even in the 7.5 gallon conical

I ferment 5.5 in a 6 gallon Better Bottle. I always use a blowoff tube so I don't have to worry about any mess. I wouldn't worry about the yucky stuff as it will fall out over the course of fermentation.

AmericanRedAle2.jpg

Latest posts

Back