Results of latest beer run

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOVA Brewer

Reaction score
Just got back from a trip to my local Whole Foods, which sells individual bottles as well as sixers.

As I post this, I'm drinking a Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA from a previous trip. Good, but gosh darn that's a lot of hops! I've had three of six, might stick the last three in the basement and try them in six months to a year.

So, the single bottles from today's trip:

Dominion Millenium Oak Aged Barley-wine, 2006 vintage ($5) - going to try this bottle soon, to give me a sense of how my 2008 Sierra Nevada Expedition is going to age.

Coniston Bluebird Bitter ($4.50) - as my sig states, I have a few beers in mind for my next brews, and wanted to sample some commercial version before I commit. This was my choice for the bitter I might try to brew. It's bottle conditioned, so I may attempt to harvest the yeast as well.

Schwelmer Alt ($3) - never tried an alt before, and another one I'm thinking of brewing. Beautiful 500ml flip-top brown bottle, too. Well worth three bucks, if the beer's halfway decent!

Reissdorf Kolsch ($3) - recently had a sixer of Otter Creek's kolsch, which interested me in the style. I don't have the patience for lagers, and sticking a carboy to lager in my kegerator would monopolize all of my space, anyway. SWMBO loves pilseners, however, so I'm thinking that this might be the way to go.

I also grabbed a sixer and a four-pack:

Six-pack of Victory Prima Pils ($9) - as stated above, though I technically have the equipment to make lagers, I don't really want to, and with the abundance of good pilseners available for purchase, why bother? I love Victory's take on the style, and am very lucky to have it readily available.

Four-pack of Unibroue Blanche de Chambly ($8) - my wife and I fell in love with this beer last fall on a trip to Montreal. We're Francophiles, deal with it. I brewed my own batch a couple of months ago, and got lucky enough to find Wyeast's 3864VSS Canadian/Belgian yeast straight from Unibroue to make mine. Now, with just a few bottle remaining of my version, we can try a side-by-side comparison, as well as attempt to culture the yeast from this bottle-conditioned beauty!

Not a bad haul for under $33 bucks, if I say so. Any opinions on the lot? I've never tried to kolsch, bitter, or alt, so anything from fellow HBTers will be welcome. Oh, yeah, the Bluebird Bitter is also bottle-conditioned, so I may try to harvest the yeast from that to make my own bitter.

NOVA Brewer said:
Six-pack of Victory Prima Pils ($9) - as stated above, though I technically have the equipment to make lagers, I don't really want to, and with the abundance of good pilseners available for purchase, why bother? I love Victory's take on the style, and am very lucky to have it readily available.

Victory Prima Pils, IMHO, is the best American made German style Pilsener I have ever tasted. Very Tasty!:mug:

Back