adding yeast during priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndhome1

Reaction score
I have read in several brewing books that many believe in adding a second round of yeast after raking when beginning to botlle to increase carbination and overall conditions.

What are your thoughts on this, and would you add a dry yeast or liquid? :mug:

What kind of beer? Additional yeast for conditioning is probably only necessary if you have high alcohol content (and the original yeast can't hack it), you've lagered for a very long time, or you've filtered your beer.

And dry yeast is fine...you're not getting any characteristics from the new yeast addition (just bubbles), so don't waste the money on liquid.

I made a summer ale and added lemon to it during second ferminatation. After sitting for a month in bottles its appears somewhat flat. I was doing some research on it and found the thought about adding more yeast during bottling. I believe my mistake was havin the bottles in my root cellar ( old house) the temp was to low for fermination. I moved them upstairs and the carb seems better.

Back