Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm brewing this as a family activity on Thanksgiving...should be fun. I'm planning on using 6 oranges as I really want the citrus to come out.

why doesn t any body zest the oranges and then just use the juice from what is left?? this would eliminate any pith in problems.

why doesn t any body zest the oranges and then just use the juice from what is left?? this would eliminate any pith in problems.

I did a combination of both. I zested 6 navel oranges and depithed 4 of them - throwing both orange slizes and zest into the primary - squeezed the remaining two navel oranges along with the juice of 6 clementines. I'm anxious to see how this turns out. I was worried about the citrus flavor coming through, so we'll see.

My OG was 1.042.

Did anybody else steep any grains before hand?

My thoughts are to steep 1/2lb of light wheat and a 1/2lb of light carahell to give it more body. This wouldn't hurt it, would it?

I saw a couple people mentioned a late addition extract too. Would this be appropriate, or mess up the hops too much? I'm just trying to get a good orange color and avoid some of that LME "twang". Thoughts?

As soon as I can get my hands on some blood oranges I will be brewing this too!

hurley - you boiling full or partial?

So I will be brewing this one this weekend. Going to do a late addition though. Want to keep the color light and avoid some caramelization.I plan to add 1/2 in the beginning and 1/2 at 15 minutes.

I'm also going to steep 1/2lb carahell and 1/2lb of wheat to boost the body on this sucker. I'll cut down the hops by the recommended 25%. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

I brewed this one yesterday morning, with the blood oranges, I used midwests hanks hefe kit, but I changed out their hops for the reccomended ones, this morning it was bubbling away, and it smells awesome in coming out of the airlock, cant wait to try it!

Brewed this a couple days ago and fermented with WLP351 (Bavarian Weizen). I used 4 blood oranges total, zested about 2.5. Very strong citrus aroma coming from the airlock...smells great!

made this one yesterday, I read that people were reporting not so much citrus flavor so I decided to use 5 blood oranges and half a grape fruit.

I didnt realize until now that the recipe called for the zest of just 2 though lol, I used it from all 5....I think ill get some citrus flavor with all that

we'll see how it turns out in a couple of weeks :D

img1724oh.jpg

img1725c.jpg

img1726.jpg

img1727f.jpg

img1730f.jpg

made this one yesterday, I read that people were reporting not so much citrus flavor so I decided to use 5 blood oranges and half a grape fruit.

I didnt realize until now that the recipe called for the zest of just 2 though lol, I used it from all 5....I think ill get some citrus flavor with all that

we'll see how it turns out in a couple of weeks :D

img1724oh.jpg

img1725c.jpg

img1726.jpg

img1727f.jpg

img1730f.jpg

Ha ha, oops, I did the same thing, used 5, and zested 5, oh well . . .

Took a sample for gravity today...down to 1.010 and taste great, but very little flavor contribution from the oranges. I think adding these to the primary resulted in much of the flavor/aroma being eaten up or blown off during fermentation. The first day or two there was a very strong orange aroma from the airlock..this faded considerably in the past day or two.

Not sure if i should add a couple more oranges or just leave it as is...hmmm...

Took a sample for gravity today...down to 1.010 and taste great, but very little flavor contribution from the oranges. I think adding these to the primary resulted in much of the flavor/aroma being eaten up or blown off during fermentation. The first day or two there was a very strong orange aroma from the airlock..this faded considerably in the past day or two.

Not sure if i should add a couple more oranges or just leave it as is...hmmm...

I made this beer about a year ago. I added the zests and fruit to the primary as well. The beer had very very little fruit flavor from it but did have an orange color. If I did it again I would add either the zest or the fruit to the secondary and remove just before bottling/kegging. Best of luck.

I made this beer about a year ago. I added the zests and fruit to the primary as well. The beer had very very little fruit flavor from it but did have an orange color. If I did it again I would add either the zest or the fruit to the secondary and remove just before bottling/kegging. Best of luck.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to cut up and zest a couple more oranges today and add them into a secondary for a few days.

I don't know ANYTHING about beer brewing - that's my husband's area - but "blood orange" caught my eye.

Would blood orange essential oil help with your brewing? I don't know how/when you'd incorporate it... but it's the oil pressed from the peels of blood oranges. Potential, delicious stuff. I use it in baking / cooking all the time. Gorgeous stuff!

I buy mine wholesale, but before I got to that point, I ordered from this person: http://stores.ebay.com/Anabells-Esc...e&_fsub=2&_sid=73489033&_trksid=p4634.c0.m409 - Her stuff is great quality!

Just finished up brewing with several changes; used Wyest 3056 as the LHBS was unfortunately all out of 3068 and 3638, replaced the fruit with a trio of winter citrus (blood oranges, tangelos, and a red grapefruit), and used Citra instead of Hallertau hops. Looking forward to it!

I opened the primary today (9 days fermenting) to take a gravity reading, and it tastes good, slight citrus taste to it.

mine is kegged and carbed up (brewed 12 days ago). I ended up adding more oranges in the primary after i wasn't happy with the initial taste (barely any citrus). Taste is better now, but i didn't get much color at all from the blood oranges. I've been waiting to brew this for months waiting for blood oranges to be in season, but now i'm curious if it would taste any different than with regular oranges (my bet would be no).

I kegged mine last night - thought it's not the Hefeweizen it's an American Wheat. It came out pretty well so far. I would have liked a little more citrus but I really think the SWMBO will like it. I plan on brewing another version with Navels or Valencias or something right away to see what effect, if any, the Blood Ornages have.

Yeah I brewed this one and it didn't have the color or orange flavor I was hoping for and expecting.

Well the color of mine turned out exactly like Sam's picture.

It has some citrus flavors but not a whole lot.

Bought all my ingredients for this last night, but I'm replacing the Hefe yeast with WLP400 as I don't really want bubblegum/banana flavor in mine. I noticed a lot of people saying that there wasn't much orange flavor in it, so the guy at the LHBS suggested putting the juice and zest in 6 or so days after pitching the yeast so hopefully it didn't all get consumed/blown out during active fermentation. Any ideas on this strategy for getting a stronger orange flavor out of the beer?

This looks too delicious to pass up; and as my neighbor's tree is full of oranges, I am going to give this a shot! All-grain as well

They are temple oranges: big, juicy, and sweet, but no matter, going to do it!

I was wondering if I should put any oranges in the mash as well as the boil? I plan to add the oranges to the primary after a few days as I have read that someone didn't end up with the orange flavor/aroma they desired when adding directly from first day.

Ive had this carbed up and been drinking for a few days now, it tastes really good, no real orange flavor to it though, but I can pick up a citrus hint. I brewed a midwest hanks hefe the same day, and there is a distinct difference.

To anyone who used blood oranges and grapefruit, how did it turn out? I was thinking about going that route. I loved this beer the first time I brewed it, but I want to kick up the citrus a little on the next go round.

Just bottled this yesterday I had great citrus notes. I added the peel of four oranges to the boil, and then the fruit from six blood oranges into the fermenter when one would normally rack. I did this by boiling the fruit in a little water and then adding it to the carboy. This was a five gallon batch and I'm pumped for this to be ready.

Got the starter going for this last night and I'm heading out for the blood oranges shortly.

Has anyone used WLP320 American Hefeweizen for this beer?

jtkratzer,
As mentioned above I used 6 blood orange fruits added during a week in fermentation. The blood oranges were about billiard size and I had a batch of 5 gallons. I think its a perfect amount of citrus. Any more would be too much. I thionk this is one of the better beers I have brewed!

jtkratzer,
As mentioned above I used 6 blood orange fruits added during a week in fermentation. The blood oranges were about billiard size and I had a batch of 5 gallons. I think its a perfect amount of citrus. Any more would be too much. I thionk this is one of the better beers I have brewed!

How did your "blood orange tea" look when you poured it into the fermenter? I left the lid on for it to steep and then put it outside to cool. I was surprised how red the liquid was. I didn't see your post before I got started, so I went with 8 oranges and 6 zests. Oh well, my wife really likes the wheats with citrus, like a Blue Moon with a huge chunk of orange in it. I'm sure it will turn out fine.

The wort is really good. The citrus is definitely there, but it's not like orange juice or anywhere close to that strong. I'm hoping some of the citrus aroma is left after it ferments out.

The color is going to be pretty close to the picture on the first page. It's a really nice orange color.

How did your "blood orange tea" look when you poured it into the fermenter? I left the lid on for it to steep and then put it outside to cool. I was surprised how red the liquid was. I didn't see your post before I got started, so I went with 8 oranges and 6 zests. Oh well, my wife really likes the wheats with citrus, like a Blue Moon with a huge chunk of orange in it. I'm sure it will turn out fine.

The wort is really good. The citrus is definitely there, but it's not like orange juice or anywhere close to that strong. I'm hoping some of the citrus aroma is left after it ferments out.

The color is going to be pretty close to the picture on the first page. It's a really nice orange color.

My blood tea looked pinkish red, and almost gave the wort a slight pinkish color. Thats probably because I made a light hefe using white wheat. The finished beer looks hazy and straw colored, no sign of the oranges. Let us know how it turns out with eight oranges.

Latest posts

Back