Cheap ways to get cooler temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcubed

Reaction score
My fermenter in the closet stays at about 72-74F and I was curious if there's any way to bring down the temperature a bit?

I heard about putting a damp cloth over the fermenter... anyone know how many degrees this can bring the temp down?

I heard Hefeweizens tend to benefit from a bit cooler fermentation so any suggestions on bringing the temp to about 68F would be appreciated!

Thanks

swamp cooler, basically put some water in a bucket or one of those plastic bins from walmart or whatever and put a few frozen water bottles in it and a tshirt over your fermentor

Even without the t-shirt and/or fan, you can get temps down quite a bit just setting the fermenter in a bin or cooler and adding water and ice bottles to it. That's all I do and I kept my fermenting beer in the 60's when it was in the 90's outside this summer with no AC.

Back