Is this worth using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allanmac00

Reaction score
I was cleaning my auto-siphon recently and the tip piece fell into my garbage disposal. It got nicked up a little bit, with a few gouges and such, but it still fits onto the siphon. My LHBS didn't have any replacements. Should I avoid using this tip due to sanitation concerns? They sold me a cheesecloth to put over the end to keep trub out, but I've never used one of those before. Any thoughts?

I'd soak it in some starsan for now. If you ever have an infected batch, then I'd replace the whole autosiphon.

Don't know for sure, but couldn't you boil it for 10 minutes to kill everything? I'd smooth out any nicks or grooves to eliminate hiding places first.

Don't know for sure, but couldn't you boil it for 10 minutes to kill everything? I'd smooth out any nicks or grooves to eliminate hiding places first.

Just don't smooth it out with a knife, sandpaper, scrubber, or anything abrasive or else you will create even more microscopic channels where bacteria and other microorganisms could hide.

Is it just the cap that goes over the end? You don't really need it and can go without as long as you don't bury it in the yeast cake.

I was cleaning my auto-siphon recently and the tip piece fell into my garbage disposal. It got nicked up a little bit, with a few gouges and such, but it still fits onto the siphon. My LHBS didn't have any replacements. Should I avoid using this tip due to sanitation concerns? They sold me a cheesecloth to put over the end to keep trub out, but I've never used one of those before. Any thoughts?

Buy another siphon and keep the old one as a back up for when you break the new one. Then, use the new tip on the old siphon until you break it and then need to buy your third siphon.

See how that works?

Back