Smaller HLT Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damian07

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bought equipment to brew 10 gallon batches (14 gal kettles)
except a hot liquor tank. This is my first time doing an all grain batch too.

I decided to use my existing 8gal kettle and convert it to a HLT by drilling and adding a spigot to it.
Now I am doubting whether I'll have sufficient water boiling capacity to brew a 10 gallon batch with it.

Before I make an investment on a drill bit and spigot, I would like to get some feedback as to whether using an 8gal kettle will be enough water for a 10 gallon batch.

Thanks!
Damian

With a fly sparge it may be too small.

I batch sparge and use an 8 gallon pot to heat my sparge water. I do the sparge in 2 batches. Each batch is in the neighborhood of 5 gallons each.

Figure it this way. Mashing 20lbs can be done with 7 gallons. You'll run off 4.5 gallons. You'll just barely get by with 7 gallons of sparge for batch sparging.

So, I'd say yes you're OK with 8 gallons if you limit your 10 gallon batches to 20 lb grain bills. You can do the sparges in separate batches (heating sessions) but it defeats the purpose of quick batch sparging.

You could use the BK to heat some of the strike water and all of the mash-out water. This would allow you to brew with grain bills larger than 20#. An 8 gal HLT is cutting it close for 10 gal batches, but it's certainly do-able with the right system.

You could also do a double batch sparge where you heat one portion in the HLT and one in the BK, but then you'd need a vessel to drain the first runnings into. Once the MLT is drained you could put the sparge water from the BK into the MLT, and then pour the first runnings into the now empty BK. This would allow you to brew with as large a grain bill as you can fit in your MLT. I did something similar before I had my current system, and it worked pretty well.

You can also stretch your HLT by overheating the sparge water (boiling or just below) and doing a mashout. Then just add gallon or two of tap/cold water to temper the sparge water back down to 175 or so. Resulting in 9-10 gallons of sparge water w/ an 8 gallon pot. You can work around it occasionally if you have the need.

I fly sparge. I typically use anywhere from 20-25# of grain, and about 6-7 gallons of water. I then fly sparge with about 7 gallons. I also collect 12 gallons in the keggle. So I'd say you could do it. YMMV. (I say "about" because each batch is different, depending on the grain bill.)

I have a 10 gal MLT and an 8 gal HLT. It's borderline big enough, but you can make it work.

thanks for all your feedback...it took me a while to get back to the thread but after reading i'm convinced on drilling and adding a spigot ...i think i'll be fine with all the ideas that were given... i'll be starting with a 5 gallon all grain batch so there will be no probs there

Personally, I think bigger is better. I'm building a 15 gallon keggle HLT.

You don't HAVE to use all the volume, and extra hot water will be an aid in cleaning up.

Latest posts

Back