Riddle me this Batman...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppo

Reaction score
OK, I think I know the answer to this but I'm looking for some confirmation from people that actually know what of they speak. So, I had a Porter in the fermenter for two weeks. Five days ago I racked it to a keg and gave it a shot of CO2 to drive out any O2 from the keg.

My question is this: Can I still add some corn sugar to start the carbonation process?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Absolutely. Many people naturally carb their kegs. if you just gave it enough gas to expunge the O2, you didnt give it anywhere near enough gas to actually carb it.

Your first couple of pints will have some settlers in it, but you can absolutely carb this way.

Yes you can still add the priming sugar. Sound like you have the equipment to also force carb if you want.

ICU, I do have the equipment to force carb but I want to try this method just for ****es and giggles...Cheers!

Just remember that keg carbing takes less sugar than bottle priming. To be simple you can just cut the amount in half for a five gallon batch. If you want to carbonate to a style of have a different volume than 5G, than this calculator will help. The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

I kegged my Cooper's Irish Stout this way. I brewed in June. Kegged it after 2 weeks. I let it sit in a closet until December. I dropped it into the keezer and still can't pour it. It is so over carbed, I get a glass full of foam everytime. I bleed off pressure every few days. I have not even hooked it to the CO2. I did add all the priming sugar though.

I kegged my Cooper's Irish Stout this way. I brewed in June. Kegged it after 2 weeks. I let it sit in a closet until December. I dropped it into the keezer and still can't pour it. It is so over carbed, I get a glass full of foam everytime. I bleed off pressure every few days. I have not even hooked it to the CO2. I did add all the priming sugar though.

Just bleed it more often. I had three kegs hooked up to a regulator that for some reason jumped up to 80 psi. Needless to say, they got a little over carbed. I got them back to flat in about two days.

Back