Magic Hat Hex (also Ourtoberfest)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
Kind of a disappointing beer and even more disappointing Oktoberfest beer.

First off the label is pretty cool looking and suckered me into buying it even though I have yet to have anything better than decent from them (my own opinion).

Pours a very brilliantly clear orange/copper with a tiny head that dissipates faster than head after engagement.

Smells pretty strange. Like candied apples with lots of alcohol and some malty sweetness, which really seems strange for a normal abv beer. Prickles my nose hairs if I inhale too much.

Tastes is totally not where the smell is. It has the sweet malty taste initially then it's nothing but spicey alcohol, something grassy or hay like, smokeyness wtf? that fades into a harsh bitterness in my throat.

My tongue tells me it's carbonated but it coats the mouth and leaves the lips sticky.

I regret buying the 6 pack. I really wanted an Oktoberfest that I haven't had yet and that came back to bite me in the ass.

From Magic Hat site.

* TYPE: Ourtoberfest
* YEAST: German Ale
* HOPS: Apollo, Hallertaur
* MALTS: Pale, Vienna, Crystal, Cherry Wood Smoked Malt, Malted Rye
* ABV: 5.4
* GRAVITY: 14.00 Plato
* BITTERNESS: 25
* SRM: 18.0 (bull****)

Atleast now I understand why it tastes spicy, smokey and just all around odd.

Very disappointing brewery in my opinion. Thanks for the review. I'm glad you bit the bullet for me, because I may have been tempted to try it.

Have they really come up with anything good lately?

I cracked open a 2nd bottle to just be fair with it. Drinking this is going to be a major challenge. I might have to start off with rum to deaden my taste buds a little.

Couldn't disagree more...

My thread was gonna be:

BEST BEER SINCE DEAD GUY......

I don't give a crap about the politics, I taste a beer for what it is.

Oktoberfest? Well it does say "ourtoberfest" which says to me that it may have similarities, but will be their own.

Hop bitterness?.......Sorry about that!!

Sorry, but you need to read an arrogant bastard bottle to understand how I feel about that comment.

This could be a rip off of dead guy, but I detect a little more bitterness and some biscuit malt.

DELICIOUS!!!!! *must like hop bitterness, and robust flavor*

Popped another one last night bottling my mash hopped smash. It still sucks and I can't figure out how the bitterness in the throat is so harsh. I've taken the hop residue from the strainer and pinched a chunk between my gums and it wasn't this harsh.

Only thing I can figure is I'm sensitive to Apollo hops, cherrywood smoked malt and or combination with rye. But I've had some strong Rye ales and didn't get that flavor in my throat.

3 to go....

Ps. As it warms it gets a metallic taste to it. I got distracted bottling and the last one made it 20 minutes.

I've yet to find a Magic Hat beer I actually enjoy. Can you muster through them? Yea, but barely. I end up not finishing most Magic Hat beers I've had.

FWIW, I haven't tried the Hex yet.

I bought a bottle as part of a make your own 6 pack and actually enjoyed it. Which is pretty surprising, I'm not a huge fan of Magic Hat.

I hate every other magic hat brew I've had, aren't they under new management?

Seriously, forget "oktoberfest" and this roasty, biscuity, hoppy brew is fantastic.

Any suggestions, ive been passin this up for months and there seems to be alot of this sucks/love it going on. Any suggestions for trying my first few? Hmm maybe i should just keep skipping it.I did that with Founders RedRye pa and turned out to be one of my favorites.

Havent bought anything from Magic Hat in a couple of years. They sucked then and you say they still suck so I won't bother:mug:

Any suggestions, ive been passin this up for months and there seems to be alot of this sucks/love it going on. Any suggestions for trying my first few? Hmm maybe i should just keep skipping it.I did that with Founders RedRye pa and turned out to be one of my favorites.

Every beer is worth trying once.

yea, i hate #9, but hex is good. its different. not sure exactly how i would explain it, but kind of a smokey chocolatey hoppy blend of awesome. mind you, i wouldn't sit and drink a 6 pack, as i imagine the flavor would get kind of old, kind of like Bamberg smoked beer. Its different, and you're glad to have one, but you wouldn't want a lot

Back