Recipe quest. Appeal to the masses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loujitsu82

Reaction score
Hi there. I am looking for suggestions on recipes(AG) for an Ale that my friends can enjoy. I like to brew beers of all styles however I lack experience in building a beer that completely satisfies the "lite lager" drinkers.

I would prefer to stay away from "lagering" if possible
I envision a lightly hopped, refreshing ale.
Any input would be great.

I have been doing my homework but I would like to hear some suggestions. Thanks

A cream ale is always a winner. I combined Biermuncher's "Cream" recipe and jamilz's "Weed, Feed, and Mow" recipe, using ingredients I had.

OG 1.056
FG 1.010

4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.57 %
4 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 38.57 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz cornmeal 14.46 %
14.0 oz Rice, Minute (1.0 SRM) Grain 8.41 %
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (90 min) Hops 15.7 IBU

Clean, well attenuating ale yeast like S05 or Nottingham

Do a cereal mash with 2 pounds two-row (crushed), the rice, and the cornmeal. Use 1.5 quarts per pound, and bring to 155 degrees, stirring often. Let it rest at 155 degrees for 15 minutes, then bring to a boil and boil until gelatinized, about 45 minutes. Add to the mash when mashing in.

If you don't want to do a cereal mash, use 1.5 pounds flaked corn and the Minute Rice, and just add to the mash.

If you don't have pilsner malt, all two-row would be fine.

Mash at 149 for 90 minutes. Do a 90 minute boil. Ferment in the low 60s.

This almost tastes like Genessee Cream Ale, if you've ever had that.

A Cream Ale and a Blonde ale are pretty similar and both are likely crowd pleasers.

Just throwing out a couple more options: American wheat beers and Belgian wits seem to have pretty high "crowd acceptability" rates in recent years.

Brewed Cream of Three Crops & Centennial Blonde today. Nailed the OG's with Beersmith @ very close to 75%.

Brewed 4 batches today One, an English mild(batch # 1) didnt go so well. High mash temp Etc.

Back