Jumping from extract to AG... Setup advice/questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DansBrew

Reaction score
I'm not worried, and I've had enough homebrew... I have decided to make the jump to all grain. I bought a 10 gallon Gott type cooler as my mashtun, but returned it because, (1) I worry about hot plastics leeching. (2) it warped when I hit it with 160 degree water... and I worried about how long it would last. So here is what I have as far as basic equipment... I want some pointers to see if I atleast have a general correct setup in mind... not necessarily they best way, or your way, just the way thats going to make decent beer!

I have:

aluminum turkey fryer pot, 7.5 gallon with a spigot.
the burner from turkey fryer(heated 4 gallons of water from 65 degrees to 160 in 22 mins... is this good?)
2 half barrel sankey kegs, which still need to be cut(this weekend)

I'm looking to go through bargainfittings.com and order the weldess bulkhead fittings with valves... I would like to mount them on the sankey kegs. The bulkheads have a 1/2 inch NPT. Does anyone have a false bottom in mind that will fit? something with a pickup tube already?

I'm not totally sure which vessel to use as my kettle. I haven't used the 7.5 gallon pot yet because I havent made an IC chiller... so I've done the extract and top up fermenter method. The IC is going to be the first thing I build, as soon as I order from Coppertubingsales.com. What should I do for my mash and brew kettles? I planned on doing the HLT(keg), MLT(keg), and aluminum Kettle setup. I'm not looking to go through the pump methods yet, so I'm stacking up, and letting gravity do what it does best. I was thinking maybe the aluminum might be better for HLT, because its lighter than SS and lifting it up high would be easier. Im completely open to suggestions. Thanks for the input... I have 2 more extract kits left, after that, its AG... Happy drinking

I think you're right wanting to use the aluminum for your HLT. You'll want a little more room in your boil kettle so you don't have to worry about boilovers. Here's the setup I started with in AG. I was hitting 75-80% regularly...it's pretty similiar to what you have.

HLT - 7.5 gallon turkey fryer. No spigot or anything, I just dumped the water into the mash tun.

Mash - 10 gallon gott cooler (honesty, they will all warp, but they hold temps incredibly well and the warp won't effect the brew) w/ spigot and homemade manifold. My manifold was round....it ran around the cooler about 1" from the sidewalls.

Kettle - 15.5 gallon sanke/ 1/2" weldless ballvalve/custom diptube.

There's really no need to get fancy with anything. If you don't want to pay the extra money to buy a false bottom, build a manifold....IMO, they work just as well. I hit 90% on a few brews with that system.

Having a keg as your mash, you'll want to insulate it if you're not recirculating wort through a heated HLT or direct firing.

I have the direct fire capability, Has anyone ever used those stainless braid? Im ordering 50 feet of copper for my IC, and I'll have plenty of copper left to build a manifold. I'm just trying to maintain a balance between easy/simple/not fancy, and economics...

Back