Same Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgaepi

Brewer In Need Of Guidance
Reaction score
I want to build the same mash tun system that NB sells for $199. I assume all rubbermaid coolers at various sites are all the same even though they seem slightly different. But Home Depot sells theirs for $22 each.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...ubbermaid+cooler&storeId=10051#specifications
I assume this is the same cooler? Also, would you recommend buying the bronze valves or spend more for the stainless?
I am approaching stepping up to all grain. I am taking the class at UC Davis next month, so I am only a few weeks away from stepping up.
Thanks.

Lastly, I bought the blichmann boilermaker but it is my only kettle, so I figure that the extra mash tun parts aren't really going to do much for me. Coolers are prob better.

Yep I'd go with the Home Depot Cooler, it's what I've been using for a few years now with great success. As far as the fittings.. I've got stainless, just felt it was better at the time that I was buying the stuff, BUT, I'm not so sure now. Really not sure you can go wrong with the bronze as long as you keep everything clean.
The Blichmann will be fantastic, wish I had one! But until you build up to pumps and such the cooler will work perfectly.
Cheers!

Get the 10G cooler. It should be $40 at Home Depot. It's brass vs. stainless...don't think I've seen bronze. I'd go stainless, but I've been using brass for years with success. I was using the 10G home depot rubbermaid cooler with brass...when I went to 10G finished batches, I built a 70QT coleman xtreme MLT with all stainless parts.

Wild card question but what about the 7 gallon system from either NB or Midwest? Seems perfect for all 5 gallon brew.

Shoot!! Yeah brass.. not bronze! Lol

As far as the 7 gallon system goes, it probably would work for all but the biggest of the 5 gallon beers. A strong Barley Wine wouldn't work very well in a 7 gallon cooler, some of the IPA's I make would probably be to tight too. If you've got the extra cash I'd go with the 10 gallon for sure.

Back