first lager is in the ferm. wish me luck.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatgerm

Reaction score
Just pitched the starter into a batch of Helles Bells. This is my first lager AND my first attempt at BIAB, so gimme some HBT karma.

good luck. Mine took 90+ hours to take off in a 55 degree garage. Its doing its diacetyl rest now and will be racked for lagering later this week. Going to have to use patience with this one

I used a dry yeast. Can't remember which one at the moment. I'm a newbie and didn't realize the importance of a starter with a lager. Now I know. Had me worried for a few days though

my lager actually dropped to 1.020 within a week at 54-55 degrees. started at 1.056

I was actually shooting for 1.042 to have this as a low-ABV beer, but the long boil and wort-loss from BIAB got it all the way up to 1.052. I just dumped the whole starter (2 liter) instead of decanting to hopefully dilute it a bit. I'm thinking about doing an identical brew and using S-04 just to see what the difference in taste is.

Latest posts

Back