Summer APA recipe and hop schedule advice - original recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
I designed a recipe with that was supposed to be 1 oz simcoe hops and 2 oz amarillo, and when I went to the LHBS today I accidentally got it backwards.

This is the grain bill for my original summer pale ale recipe. Beersmith puts this at 1.062 Est OG

9 lb 2 row pale
2 lb white wheat
1 lb honey malt
.5 lb crystal 80 malt
.5 biscuit malt
.5 Aromatic malt

2g grains of paradise for a slight spice.

I have in possession 2oz Simcoe 12.2 AA and 1 oz Amarillo 8.7 AA

I am looking for a 6.0 ABV 11-13 SRM- Bitterness in mid to upper 30s

I am confident of the grain bill but will still take advice and input,
but i need help on hops schedules. I want a nice floral, citrusy, happy aroma.

Should I do 1 oz simcoe 60 min then 1 oz 15 mins and then my 1 oz amarillo at flameout or do you have another suggestion.

Thanks very much.

That grainbill with mid 30's IBU's would be too malty/sweet for my tatses, but I like my pales and IPA's on the dry side. If you like it, and you're going to stick to your 3 oz total then I think your schedule is a good way to use those.

That grainbill with mid 30's IBU's would be too malty/sweet for my tatses, but I like my pales and IPA's on the dry side. If you like it, and you're going to stick to your 3 oz total then I think your schedule is a good way to use those.

What IBU number would you like as balanced.
Id like good aroma.

i am thinking 1.25 oz simcoe 60 min and then .75 oz at 10 min and the amarillo a flameout. Beer smith puts that at 45 ibu
that is sounding better. what you think?

I'd use any other hop @ 60 to bitter to save the Simcoe/Amarillo's. Then you could mix the Simcoe and Amarillos, 1 oz of the mix at 15 min, 1 oz at 0, 1 oz dry hop. 40-45 IBUs would be a better balance for a malty APA.

1 lb of the honey malt will probably be really sweet, I'd use 4 oz.

I'd use any other hop @ 60 to bitter to save the Simcoe/Amarillo's. Then you could mix the Simcoe and Amarillos, 1 oz of the mix at 15 min, 1 oz at 0, 1 oz dry hop. 40-45 IBUs would be a better balance for a malty APA.

1 lb of the honey malt will probably be really sweet, I'd use 4 oz.

I hear ya but the grain is already milled and mixed so oops.
I dont want to buy kits any more.

is dryhopping the way to get the best aroma from hops?

What IBU number would you like as balanced.
Id like good aroma. I am brewing next week and could run out again if needed

I'm not sure I could get enough IBU's to counteract that lb of honey malt so maybe you shouldn't listen to me on that part :p

I like strambo's suggestions actually. Definitely more later additions and dry hop if you want more aroma.

I'm not sure I could get enough IBU's to counteract that lb of honey malt so maybe you shouldn't listen to me on that part :p

I like strambo's suggestions actually. Definitely more later additions and dry hop if you want more aroma.

If I used 1.5 oz of the simcoe at 60 I could get 54 IBU which seems like alot but I was ignorant of how much honey malt might over sweeten.
Then I could use the rest at flameout or maybe the .50 simcoe at 10 min and the 1 oz amarillo at flameout. I am not sure about dryhopping, since ive not done it before. I think I can make a good beer with the hops and grain I have but if its not that great then I can adjust for next time.

Back