Mesh Tea Balls for Hops in Boil Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_w_taylor

Reaction score
Anyone ever go this route? I'm using them in my kegs for the dry hop and wondered if the might work for the boil as well.

I am thinking of going with the Blingman 20G and have read that there "strainer" is the pits for pellets.

These things are just way, way too small to give you anything like proper circulation. Your utilization will be in the toilet. I saw numbers one time back and you end up losing nearly half of your IBUs. Paint strainer bags, on the other hand...

I just use the nylon hop bags stocked at the LHBS for my hop additions... Very little, if any, trub from the hops this way, and it makes adding them really easy (almost as easy as not using anything to contain the hops)...

I picked up a few more last night, so that I have four total. That should allow me to do four different time hop additions in a brew. I'm brewing a Boddington's Pub Ale clone this weekend, where I believe I add hops at three different points. This way, I'll just bag up each time slot addition ahead, and toss the bag into the boil as needed.

Back