Bittering hop adjustment for full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasmeyer

Reaction score
Most of the 5 gallon ale extract recipes I have made call for boiling 2 1/2 gallons of water to make the wort, then topping off to make 5 gallons total in the fermenter. If I was to try a full 5 gallon boil wouldn't I have to decrease my bittering hop addition since the bittering hops in the recipe were intended for a 2 1/2 gallon boil? How is this calculated? would it not make enough of a difference or be too bitter? Is it necessary to adjust all hop additions or just the bittering hops? What are the advantages of a full boil vs a 2 1/2 gallon boil?

Well, in general, you should probably reduce the amount by 25%-30%. To be sure, find a brewing calculator or brewing software that allows for partial-boil or full-boil calculations. As far as flavoring and aroma hops, I would leave them the same. You will gain some additional utilization out of the hops, but some may argue that you will also pull additional flavor and aroma out of the hops.

The amount of water and higher or lower gravity (depending on what your talking about) of the boil dont make a bit of difference for isomerization, its been proven.

A few episodes of basic brewing radio on itunes covered it.

The amount of water and higher or lower gravity (depending on what your talking about) of the boil dont make a bit of difference for isomerization, its been proven.

Are you sure they don't make a bit of difference? There is so much material out there saying it does. Could it be that higher or lower gravity worts exhibit some other characteristic that affects utilization (i.e. higher boiling temp of concentrated solutions)and it's easier to think and adjust in terms of SG?

I am interested to learn and just downloaded several Basic Brewing shows, but would like it if you could point me to a specific show.

I keep an open mind about all aspects of brewing. Because I do not conduct my own research on every variable of brewing, I rely heavily on the research of others (as I think most homebrewers do).

Lately, I've been sharing the results of the BYO/Basic Brewinf study on pitching rates. Because of that article, I'm skeptical every time somebody preaches using "proper" yeast pitching rates.

It was actually a collaboration with chris colby (BYO) and james spencer (BBR) on the latest one, but there was also an episode where they tested the isomerized alpha acids.

The latest one 3-14-10 They tested a full boil, a late extract addition partial boil and a regular partial extract boil.

There was also another one which i cant find, after over 200hours of these i cant pinpoint it, but if i do i will add it.

When I went from partial to Full boil the recipes that I had brewed before were now Really hoppy (as far as bitterness goes) the flavoring and Aroma were still very close, but It was deffinatly noticable!
I had to make a change in Bittering hop amounts. (as my software showed as well)

Yep. But it's not that it makes no difference... just that it seems pretty negligible.

It's a bit long, 50-60 minutes I think, but they talk about partial boils, full boils, late extract addition... all that jazz and hop utilization or something. Worth a listen and it seems to go against a lot of the assumed thinking on the subject.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-04-10exp3.mp3

I listened to the March 20, 2008 show earlier today and it had a lot of good info in it. John Palmer had just returned from a convention, where an IBU was defined and he talked about many of the things posted above. Although, he was careful to say that the current methods of estimating IBU's have treated brewers fairly well for many years and drastic changes may not be the best answer.

I love learning "new" (to me) info, especially when it is backed by scientific research.

Thank you nitrousbob for bringing this up.

Back