has anyone taken the BJCP exam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have taken the exam, and recently I just finished teaching an exam prep course. Both experiences have made me a better brewer, but perhaps even more importantly, have broadened my appreciation and enjoyment of good beer. I highly recommend a BJCP course to anyone interested in brewing or beer appreciation.

I'm in a study group right now coordinated through my club. We have weekly sessions, and are scheduled to take the exam in February. So far, it has been a great experience.

Aye, I sat for the exam back in September and am currently awaiting my results. In the meantime, I've been racking up as many judging points as I can.

In my Brew Club. 3 guys with masters(doctor, pharmacist and business major) said it was one of the hardest tests they took.

One said it was the hardest he's ever studied for a 73% or something close. i'm just a dumb engineer... i can do the math part... if it had one! maybe in a few years i'll do it.

Yep, I've taken it a couple times and taught an exam prep course a couple times. You really do not need to take a prep course to do well on the exam. The information is right there for you.

In order to develop your palate, get out there and judge some competitions with more experienced judges and brewers. You can develop your palate on your own, too, but I often like to have someone else around as both a sounding board and to pick up something I may not have at first. The trick is learning how to concentrate on the beer and "dissect" it into different flavors, aromas, and mouthfeels. That's a weird way to put it, but it's the best I've been able to come up with.

TL

I took it about 8 years ago. I spent about 6 months studying alone about 3+ hours a day and once a week with a study group. It all paid off, though. I scored one point below Master the first time I took it!

I'm scheduled to take the exam in July and I'm a little bit nervous that I won't be ready 100% for it by then. I've set aside a half hour every night and two hours on the weekend because there is definately alot of info that needs to be memorized for this. I've started making flashcards like I did back at school when I needed to cram for an exam! The only difference between then and now is that I actually enjoy studying for this one (especially the taste testing)!:mug:

Remember that you can re-take portions of it also. I took it in September and I ran out of time, leaving the recipe question unfinished. :( Recently I opted to re-take the tasting portion, because I knew I could do better the second time around after getting a feel for what conditions were like in the test, and also because I don't want to ever take the written again :)

My advice would be to take it, don't worry about it - it's only a test. You can take it over, but do take it because it is just a great experience.

I have become interested since reading people on here bithcing about the crappy feed back they get from judges. Only problem is I work weekends, when most comps are judged. I still think it is worth taking... I think I have developed a knack for taste and describing it, and I would love to learn more about connecting it to brewing.

My fear is that I would become even pickier than I already am!

My advice would be to take it, don't worry about it - it's only a test. You can take it over, but do take it because it is just a great experience.

This is good advice. I was scheduled to take it and then put it off....blah, blah. There are a million reasons to put it off, just buck-up and do it.

Latest posts

Back