Safe to use an old plastic carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm very new to homebrewing; I've made a few small batches with friends so far and am having fun.

My inlaws gave me a 15 gallon carboy that has been unused for about 15 years. The plastic is very thick and it looks structurally sound to me. Is there any reason this might be unsafe to use? The only thing that would worry me is if plastic breaks down over that long a period and some chemicals might seep into the beer. But, it looks like thick "food grade" plastic.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Neil

Any "Number code" on the bottom indicating what type of plastic?? I would inspect it for cleanliness and scratches? If it looks to be in decent condition I would clean, sanitize and ferment in it.

Mike

being 15years old, I would question whether its made of the right kind of plastic to be 'food grade'.

15 gallons is an odd size carboy...are you planning on doing 10gallon batches?

I'm not sure I'd trust it, but look for the little 'plastic grade' number that should be stamped on the bottom.

There is no number stamped on the bottom, unfortunately. The plastic isn't clear so I can't see inside extremely well, but I don't notice any defects on the inside.

I may try a cheap test-run in it (aside from the other brews I have going on), since I tend to prefer reusing when possible. That's assuming the biggest risk is a spoiled brew. If anyone thinks there might be any other risks please let me know that too.

Thanks!

give it a good soak with Oxyclean Free. avoid bleach and old plastic...that's my motto (course, i avoid bleach always).

an overnight soak with oxyclean will get organics off. I'd star-san it for sanitizing.

Ok I will try Oxyclean. I didn't know bleach and old plastic were a bad mix.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Latest posts

Back