What would you say I have brewed here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
Last Saturday I put together 5 gallons of what I think will be a powerful honey cider: :drunk:

3 Gallons of Wal-Mart Brand Apple Juice
1 Gallon Spring Water
3 Lbs Clover Honey
1 Lb Dextrose Corn Sugar
Packet of Red Star Champagne Yeast

I dissolved the honey and dextrose in a gallon of tap water after boiling it and threw it all together in a clean primary with the yeast. It started bubbling the next morning and was at a rolling boil through Tuesday night. It has now slowed to about 25 bubbles/minute and keeps chuggin' along.

Questions:

Cider? Cyser? Mead? What will this likely turn into?
I know whatever it is it will likely be pretty dry.

How long will the fermentation last normally? Will this ferment for a month?

Effect of aging on a thing like this? Priming/Bottle Flat?

You wondered what it would tastelike nad I KNEW what it would taste like
an initial dry front of tounge followed quickly by a dry leaf ground fine and sprinkled on the back of yr tunge the sides of yr upper throat streams running downhill
it would nice to stop the ferm and keep a little sweet

You have a cyser, since the amount of fermentables is about 50/50. Expect it to ferment for 2-3 months, I've seen them go longer. If you don't have a hydrometer, you should get one. It's really tough to know when it's done otherwise.

Plan on aging at least a year.

Ok, so I have a cyser on my hands. It will ferment for up to three months you say?

Is this kind of brew better still-bottled or made sparkling?

Would this just be undrinkable before a year of aging or mostly best after that time?

Latest posts

Back