Little electric help..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proetus

Reaction score
So i want to get a little electricity out to the brew stand. I'm only gonna need 110 out there for my Dedicated herms tank (4500 watt element run at 110), Pump and Stirrer in the herms tank. I figured the amps as follows. 10.2 for the element, 1.4 for the pump and i cant seem to find The Pol's stirrer motor setup thread at the moment so ill shoot at 1-2 amps for that motor. So that should keep me under my 15 amp min for the time being. I do have a 40 amp spa panel out back but its not usable at this time, different thread. What i was wanting to do, hopefully i can do it this way. I am by no means an electrician, just know enough to make me dangerous.

My thoughts are to take something similar to This Box here but power it with an extension cord. Cut the female end off the ext cord and wire it into the box. The box would be mounted on my stand with room to wrap up the cord when not in use. Of course i would use a 15a heavy duty cord. Will it work? Is it safe? I am trying to make my day a little less cluttered with cords etc., but if its not safe I won't even bother.

Thanks

I have the source outlets close to where i am brewing about 20 feet away. The question i have is would i be ok powering a 4 outlet box like in the link, with a extension cord.

you'd be fine using a 12/3 extension cord. you could probably build the same thing as that box for a little cheaper too. just make sure the receptacle you're plugging in to is on a 20 amp circuit

Dont you need like a 50 amp breaker for that load. 4500 watts divided by 110v = 40.90 amps.

it's 4500W @240V
Running the same element on 120 is closer to 1125W.

P=V*I
4500=240*I
I=18.75 Amps

R=V/I
R=240/18.75
R=12.8 ohms

So the same resistive load at 120V
I=V/R
I=120/12.8
I=9.375 Amps

P=120V*9.375A
P=1125W