Boiling wort in a Milk Can...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lordsoth

Reaction score
I was watching a random outdoor-themed show this morning and they had a segment where the host had a brat boil (think crawfish boil, but with brats) and they boiled it all up in a milk can on a propane burner. Which got me to thinking, couldn't one use a milk can for brewing beer? Just a quick search and I found they come in 13 gallon sizes (maybe bigger) and stainless steel, which would be great for 10g brews. Coincidentally my Dad work for a Dairy equipment manufacturing company, and I bet he could pick me up a couple on the cheap, plus you can find them all the time at auctions etc. (this is the "Dairy State" after all). Can anybody think of any reasons why this wouldn't work?

DAIRY EQUIPMENT, USED DAIRY EQUIPMENT, DAIRY EQUIPMENTS, USED DAIRY EQUIPMENTS

milk_cans.jpg

Nope, have at it. If people are preparing food in it, there's no reason you can't brew in one.
In fact many a micro brew in the bad old days was cobbled together from used brewery equipment. In fact wasn't it Fritz Maytag who built Anchor from buying up old dairy scrap?

One of them did.

In one of Rogue's videos on youtube, they have a brewery tour, and they mention that some of their equipment is from and old dairy farm/processing place. I'd say go for it as long as it's cleaned out if it's been used.

Cool, I didn't think there would be an issue, and it's interesting to note that some breweries started out with dairy equipment. Thanks for the responses! I think I'm gonna go harass my Dad tomorrow, lol.

Back