What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added one more bomber to my bottle collection & cleaned & re-arranged it a bit. Too hot to brew till I get some brewery expansions done startin next month. Cleaned my glass steins From Germany & my Stella chalice. They went on the hutch where they belong & will get less of this thick stick slightly acidic dusty stuff in there. Top of comp hutch too high for them to stay cleaner. Put away some bottles I cleaned yesterday & more wheat beer in fridge. Clean a few more bottles today,lookin for somethin brew related to do.

Got this lot.

20130720_192538_zpsa0a69e07.jpg

I finally replaced my turkey fryer. It came with a 30q pot (with spigot), and since I'm replacing the gas tank tomorrow, I'll be all set for my next brew day, which will be Tuesday, if my supervisor's edict proves correct (my safety officer, who is my father, suggested otherwise).

Transfered my Pliny the Elder to a secondary and added 1oz of Centennial, Columbus and Simcoe. Gravity reading was 1.012 and the taste was smooth, but a little bitter? Hope I didn't ruin this beer.;)

Walked into the garage this morning and smelled beer. Warm beer. Apparently my faucet was leaking steadily since I poured a pint last night. Luckily I ended up only losing about 12-16 ounces.

Dry Hopped my NB DeadRinger. One more week until bottling day!

One week behind you, I will be dry hopping mine next week!!!...oh, I tested a bottle of arrogant bastard ale clone (AHBS) only 1 week after bottling and it is already tasting REALLY good...will be a hard 4 weeks trying to let it develope more!

Double header brew day. Gave my new (to me) heat sticks their first (for me) taste of actual wort (I adopted em from another brewer). My first full boil in one kettle (had been doing either partial boils or full boils split between multiple kettles). Missed my volume on batch one, adjusted and nailed it on batch two.

Found out this afternoon that I took 2nd place in the ET Barnette Homebrew competition with my Galaxy Pale Ale V4.0 in the American ale category. I'll take that for my first competition.

skemp45 said:
I threw a beer tasting party for friends who don't normally drink craft beers!!!

Some good choices in there. That breckenridge porter is such a solid brew. Love it on tap.

Cleaned a bunch of bottles; kept my latest brew comfortably cool; drank the first of a new batch.

I went to the local liquor mart today and browsed the specialty beer aisles for about an hour. Finally walked out with a Brooklyn Sorachi Ace (looking to sample the Sorachi Ace hop, thinking about using it in a pale ale) and a Boon Gueuze (exploring sour beers). Both were purchased in the name of brew science research :|

While they are chilling, I grabbed a sixer of Whale Tale Pale Ale from Cisco, a fabulous brewery on Nantucket. Credit me for helping to support the local craft breweries. Finally, I am giving these fine beers a warm and safe home, in my belly. :mug:

Placed an order for a Chugger pump, PID, SSR, and heat sink. It's just a matter of time before I place the order for the RIMS tube and thermocouple. I'm hoping to take the RIMS system live in about a month.

And being the patient brewer I am, I just hit the order button on the RTD sensor and the RIMS tube from BobbyM. Now to start planning out the enclosure, switches, etc.

kscarrington said:
Placed an order for a Chugger pump, PID, SSR, and heat sink. It's just a matter of time before I place the order for the RIMS tube and thermocouple. I'm hoping to take the RIMS system live in about a month.

I responded to a craigslist add asking for empty bottles. I gave the guy three and a half cases of bottles that I just had laying around the basement and a four pack sampler of my own HB. :D

seph said:
I responded to a craigslist add asking for empty bottles. I gave the guy three and a half cases of bottles that I just had laying around the basement and a four pack sampler of my own HB. :D

+1 way to pay it forward man. Really a cool move.

Yeah, he was really surprised. The bottles were ones that I had already cleaned and delabeled too.

I went to work, so I can make more money, so I can brew more. Yeah, I can see a pattern here...

Haven't been able to do much today, but yesterday got 3 flats of pop top 341 mL bottles to replace my 650's. I just like having the little ones and a consistent carbonation throughout the entire beer, not second glass being flatter.

Haven't been able to do much today, but yesterday got 3 flats of pop top 341 mL bottles to replace my 650's. I just like having the little ones and a consistent carbonation throughout the entire beer, not second glass being flatter.
It sounds like you need a bigger glass. :D

I answered some posts about rice wine... BEFORE opening any.

I want to try the Danger: Hops! simply because that is quite possibly the most awesome name for a beer I've ever heard.

It's pretty good, nice and hoppy but true to its British roots (i.e. not just a clone of an American craft beer like so many British craft beers are at the moment).

Would buy again.

I met up with a fellow home brewer, through a craigslist ad. I sold him a pound of hops, It was extra and I want to get something else, also gave him some Carafa III that was extra.

Scrubbed a bunch of bottles,a couple of my good Libby's glasses,& my hydrometer & tube. Straightened up the brewery a little,got all my HB videos & constituent files together in one folder. Weeded out doubles of pics & got rid of uneeded camera upload files. All I need now is a DVD-RW to save my videos on,& I'll clear up about another megabite. At 6pm,it's HB time & watch Bonanza with my multi-handicapped son. Def startin to warm up again too.

I tried to get the coupler and pipe nipple that make up Northern Brewer's cooler bulkhead kit to screw tight enough that the o-ring won't be sitting on threads. No luck. Searched HBT for a similar problem. No luck. Sent an email to NB, hoping for a useful response.

I brewed a batch of Eagle Rock Solidarity Clone. I also researched a kegerator. I have a 4.4 foot magic chef and a bunch of pinlock kegs. It looks like I can fit one full pin lock and one 2.5 gallon ball lock on the hump without doing any mods to the fridge. So I am thinking I will keep 5 gallons of a "house" beer (like Solidarity) and then a smaller keg of a "seasonal" or one off (like my pumpkin ale) around and bottle the difference. I am pretty excited to get started as I ghetto kegged all winter by keeping kegs on my patio and hitting them with gas from a co2 cartridge as needed.

Bought grain (wheat and pilsner malts) and yeast (WLP300) for my next batch -- a small (3g) AG BIAB batch of Hefeweizen (have some leftover noble hops I'll be using).

Back