Gas Automation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plankton

Reaction score
I am looking to run my HLT on automation (i.e. love controller, solenoid propane valve with pilot light...). I am using propane and I am wondering if you can run a 10 nozzle jet burner on LP or does it have to be high pressure.

If these burners have to run high pressure, can you run the jet burner on automation using 10psi gas pressure (recommended pressure on website) using an automated set-up? What would be the components required in order to run a safe system?

BTW - here is the link to the burner i have:

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/618lp-10-jet-propane-jet-burner.htm

FYI - I do all my brewing outdoors and I have an electric RIMS on my MT.

Any help appreciated.

thx

Well I don't know much about how to make a safe automated system, but I can tell you that propane burners and natural gas burners are not interchangeable. The jet nozzles have different sized orifices for each applicatioin. If you plan to use natural gas, which is what I use, you will either need to buy a new burner or get new jet nozzles that are made for natural gas use. They do sell just the nozzles (the brass pieces sticking out of the burner). I don't know what would be cheaper though.

Absolutely. I am planning on using propane and the jet burners I presently have are propane. I just would like to add automation to my HLT with my burners, if possible.

LP stands for liquid propane, which can be run at either low or high pressure. Low pressure typically refers to anything 1psi or under, and high is anything over. I'm not familiar with that particular burner, but I know the similar looking jet burners operate on low pressure (either NG or LP depending on the orifice). Low pressure is usually slightly cheaper to automate with safety features, but either one can be automated. For low pressure, a standing pilot valve (honeywell VR8200 or similar) with a thermocouple and pilot assembly is the cheapest and easiest way to automate "safely".

Back