Yeast problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of stout on Saturday and I noticed the krausen had dropped yesterday. I'm getting 1 bubble every 7 seconds.

1lb Simpsons Roasted Barley
6lb Gold LME
1oz Brown Sugar
70min Kent Goldings
30min Kent Goldings
10min 1 stick of Cinnamon
5 min pinch of cloves (4 stems/flowers)
Gravity was 1.052

Wyeast Irish Red - I gave it just under 3 hours to activate.
Yeast was pitched at roughly 65 degrees.
Current temp is 62, optimum temp for that yeast is 62-72

Do I need to re-pitch with some new yeast?
If so I'm not going to be able to get to the LHBS till Saturday, will that be fine?

Ed

edb said:
I brewed a batch of stout on Saturday and I noticed the krausen had dropped yesterday. I'm getting 1 bubble every 7 seconds.

Wyeast Irish Red - I gave it just under 3 hours to activate.
Yeast was pitched at roughly 65 degrees.
Current temp is 62, optimum temp for that yeast is 62-72

Do I need to re-pitch with some new yeast?

Sounds normal to me. From the info you have presented, I see no reason to pitch more yeast. Do you have a hydrometer to take a gravity reading?

It sounds like it could be right on schedule. You will need to check the gravity after a week or more but I would not worry about it to much. Do you have a hydrometer?

Bubbling Airlock - fair indicator
Krausen formation - good indicator

Hydrometer reading - Absolute indicator

Get a reading. Irish ale yeast ferments out very fast. I've had beers ferment out in 24 hours. Sounds like your active fermentation is complete and the yeast is now cleaning up after itself.

Plan on a minimum couple of weeks to let the the beer clean up before racking to a secondary or bottling.

I have a hydrometer just haven't had a chance to take a reading I thought it was too soon.

The krausen never really got all that thick, it was roughly about 1/2 - 3/4". I was just shocked that it dropped so fast. Its good to know about that ale yeast fermenting out quick. Yeah it still looks like it has quite a bit of clearing up to do.

edb said:
...The krausen never really got all that thick, it was roughly about 1/2 - 3/4". I was just shocked that it dropped so fast....
Some krausen will never get thicker than 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick, but be "fizzy" as all get out.

Other krausens (like two I have going right now) can get 3-4 inches thick and look like bread pudding. THey take forever to subside and sometimes I have to just rack around it.

Back