Did I mess up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurphy74133

Reaction score
Ok so im totally new to this and im pretty sure i just noobed it up after reading but anyways, i let my porter ferment at about 72 degrees for 7 days then i already bottled them and was going to keep them out of sight and mind for about 3 to 4 weeks. should i have put it in a secondary fermenter for another week before bottling? my guess is yes i should have.

No. You're fine. Pretty widely accepted you use a secondary with Belgians dry hopping and high gravity beers. Hope it turns out well. Was your FG OK?

No. You're fine. Pretty widely accepted you use a secondary with Belgians dry hopping and high gravity beers. Hope it turns out well. Was your FG OK?

Im not sure what the final gravity was because when I brewed my first beer, i didnt realize i needed to take all those readings before and after. So im not sure :(

also, is it normal for the white film (guessing yeast) to form at the bottom of the bottles? i noticed that the next day to see if any of my bottles blew up :)

thanks again guys, you guys are a great help to us noobs :rockin:

Secondary is optional, but 7 days to the bottle is really fast - if it is done meaning it has a stable final gravity you'll be ok. That said, if it wasn't finished you could end up with bottle bombs. Did it seem to ferment quickly? 72F is a touch warm, so most likely it finished but if you let it sit 2-3 weeks the yeast will clean up the beer a bit (yeast will in bottles too, it just takes longer).

smurphy74133 said:
also, is it normal for the white film (guessing yeast) to form at the bottom of the bottles? i noticed that the next day to see if any of my bottles blew up :)

thanks again guys, you guys are a great help to us noobs :rockin:

Yes, that's yeast if you bottle condition there will always bee some.

Im not sure what the final gravity was because when I brewed my first beer, i didnt realize i needed to take all those readings before and after. So im not sure :(

Theoretically it should have been done fermenting after a week, but if it wasn't (which is highly possible) you could have problems with bottle bombs. Store the bottles in a plastic container with a lid, just in case. If it was done fermenting, it will likely be fine with some conditioning time....

Fermented at 72 degrees, which is a little on the warm side, your beer probably got to final gravity, but that is not a certainty. I would let those bottles condition in a plastic storage container just to be on the safe side.

My porter, which I fermented in the mid sixties took 10 days before the active fermentation stopped I didn't take an fg reading until 21 days.

i dont think ill have any bottle bombs. of course i dunno how long it would take for them to burst but they have been sitting for 4 days so far with nothing bursting.

i dont think ill have any bottle bombs. of course i dunno how long it would take for them to burst but they have been sitting for 4 days so far with nothing bursting.

It can take days, weeks, even months for bottle bombs to occur! No offense, but if you didn't check final gravity, then you have no way of even knowing if you will or not. Just assuming that you won't could come back and bite you in the arse! I ferment all of my beers until I get stable final gravity readings, and yet I still store my bottles in rubbermaid containers as a precaution. Bottle bombs are no joke! They can cause major bodily harm, and they can also make a huge mess. I'm lucky enough to say I don't know any of this due to personal experience! :mug:

It can take days, weeks, even months for bottle bombs to occur! No offense, but if you didn't check final gravity, then you have no way of even knowing if you will or not. Just assuming that you won't could come back and bite you in the arse! I ferment all of my beers until I get stable final gravity readings, and yet I still store my bottles in rubbermaid containers as a precaution. Bottle bombs are no joke! They can cause major bodily harm, and they can also make a huge mess. I'm lucky enough to say I don't know any of this due to personal experience! :mug:

Thanks for the info, much appreciated :)

Back