Mashing schedule for Ed's Weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm clueless on answering your question, but I need to ask what size pressure cooker did you use and what type of temperature change can you get, (gal per degree by minute)?
Actually having had a time to recover from gadget fever, an acid rest at 104 looks text book right to me, I just have never bothered with one, which may explain my horrible efficiency.

I'm clueless on answering your question, but I need to ask what size pressure cooker did you use and what type of temperature change can you get, (gal per degree by minute)?
Actually having had a time to recover from gadget fever, an acid rest at 104 looks text book right to me, I just have never bothered with one, which may explain my horrible efficiency.

I'll be doing an experiment today in water to be sure the system can handle the 50 degree swing. I'll let you know how it turns out. I have a 24 qt pressure cooker.

EdWort suggests a 90 minute rest at 153 F, so I am a bit concerned about the 60 minute rest I planned above.

I'm piecing together a steam system too with a 23 quart pressure canner. The first recipe I'm doing is a hefeweizen to test it out so I'm curious to see how yours goes. I asked a general question about the recipe here and got a suggestion about rests in reply #4.
How many gallons are you doing? I'm hoping the 23 quart canner will be enough for 10.

I'll be doing 5 gallon batches. I don't yet have a wort chiller, but I just can't wait (I am going the kettle in the bathtub filled with ice route).
I have an existing yeast cake (from a Belgian Wit -- Wyeast 3944) that I'll pitch onto. I suspect Ed would not be pleased that I am bastardizing his excellent and authentic recipe but I hate to waste good yeast.

My pressure cooker is 24 qt. My mashing vessel is a 10 gallon DIY rubbermaid cooler.

Using 3 gallons of water heated to provide 15 PSI, I was able to raise the temperature of 4 gallons of water 18 deg F in 4 minutes (and I wasn't pushing it at all). My brewing software claims this is 2.67 kW transferred. (delta T = 148.5 deg F to 167 deg F = 18 degrees F)

I expect the 49 degree heating will not be a huge problem since steam is very efficient when the original temperature is far below the boiling point. I let you know how the mash goes tomorrow.

Back